Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Fatal error

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 11:49 AM
Default Fatal error

Hello everyone, before writing, I read through all the threads and confirmed that I am the dumbest on the forum because no one has made a mistake like mine. Let me explain: I am a proud owner of a 1999 manual transmission Corvette C5 coupe with 70,000 miles. One of the recurring problems is that the battery inevitably goes bad after about a year, even when using the car several times a week. Yesterday, I replaced the battery with a new one, but I didn't realize that the poles were reversed when I connected it (the seller made a mistake despite me showing a photo of the battery, but I don't seek excuses; it's my fault for not checking). The contact lasted only a few seconds because the negative pole of the cable does not fit into the positive pole of the battery due to a different diameter. Some smoke came out of the negative pole, but nothing more.

I removed the battery, returned it to the store, and got the correct one (I'll spare you the details of the discussion). I installed it, but once connected, the C5 shows no signs of life. Nothing works, as if the battery were disconnected, both with the key out and with the key inserted. Only the stereo's LED lights (aftermarket) come on. Normally, when reconnecting the battery, you hear various noises from the engine (relays), but here, there's nothing.

I am checking all the fuses, in the engine compartment and under the passenger's feet, I haven't finished yet, but so far, they're all fine. It seems that the problem is upstream. Is there a main fuse? I've also searched the fuse diagrams, but I can't find anything that could cause this issue. Do you have any ideas? Please help; I'm desperate and feel guilty as if I ran over my dog. Thanks and sorry for my english

Old 11-18-2023, 09:38 PM

You would be happy to know you are not the first person to do that, very easy to do when jumping a dead battery and someone throws the jumper cables on backwards, it happens. I'm not sure about the 99s but the older corvettes had fuseible links on the starter + post, the big one fom the battery + post goes to the starter solenoid with smaller wires on that same terminal, usually 3 wires at least 2 You for sure. You will need to block the car up on the right side, disconnect the battery and disconnect the wires on the solenoid + terminal and see if you have those smaller wires on the same terminal. They are easy to check to see if they are bad, if the link is bad it will look fine on the outside but when you tugg on the wire terminal it will fill like a rubber band, that is bad the wire is burn't through, you might have more than one wire like that. You can use a wire butt conector will work in a pinch but you should replace it. I hope thats your problem.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:45 AM

Hey, thanks a bunch for responding so quickly. I'll check it out, hoping the problem is indeed what you mentioned. I'll keep you posted. Take care!

Old 11-19-2023, 04:13 PM

Diving your car twice a week should keep the battery up if it's charging correctly. You could possibly have a small draw on the battery when parked. On my 77 if i'm parking for a while I will flip the battery disconnect switch off and put the battery tender on, I have been doing that for 6 years on this battery a Napa Legend. no issues. You could hook up a tender while setting and solve that issue.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:38 AM

Hey guys, my Corvette C5 is back home after a trip to the mechanic for the aforementioned issue. At first glance, everything seemed fixed – the mechanic couldn't find any issues, and the car started up without a hitch. I took the opportunity to give it a full service. However, the problem hasn't really been solved. Let me explain: every 10 to 12 starts, the problem reappears. I put the key in, the dashboard lights up, the seat adjusts automatically, but when I turn the key to start the car, there's a "click" sound (like when the battery is low), and everything shuts off with no chance of restarting, not even the dashboard. To get things back to normal (i.e., the dashboard turning on), I have to disconnect both battery terminals and reconnect them. Sometimes, I have to repeat this process multiple times before the dashboard comes on, and then hope the engine starts. Once it does, everything runs smoothly (except for the radio, which works intermittently). For your information: the battery and spark plugs are both new. Any advice is appreciated. Mechanics around here have only seen Corvettes on TV, and getting replacement parts is a challenge. Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to make the problem as clear as possible. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:40 AM

Intermittent electrical problems are the worst. I have had a problem before like that and it turned out to be a bad battery cable with intermittent starts and no dash power. I'm not saying that's your issue is but it sounds like it. You could replace the battery cables (+ and -) one by one and see if that makes a difference. Could be a power issue going to the fuse block also, lose or corroded. Did you have anything done to the car before all power issues stated?

Old 04-16-2024, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by thomas77
Intermittent electrical problems are the worst. I have had a problem before like that and it turned out to be a bad battery cable with intermittent starts and no dash power. I'm not saying that's your issue is but it sounds like it. You could replace the battery cables (+ and -) one by one and see if that makes a difference. Could be a power issue going to the fuse block also, lose or corroded. Did you have anything done to the car before all power issues stated?
Hey, the only "electrical" tasks completed were bypassing the steering lock and replacing the driver-side window control switch. And let's not forget the blunder I made in November, accidentally connecting the battery in reverse, even if only for a brief moment...

Old 04-16-2024, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Monitor your voltage at the battery when you try to start it. If it doesn't drop when you go to the start position then the problem stems from the circuitry from the key all the way through to the solenoid.

If it does drop then that would indicate to me that it's either the solenoid or the starter.

​​​​​​If the start function is controlled by the ECM then you will have to monitor its output.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:18 PM

Check your ground cable where it connects to the block. A loose or dirty connection will also do this.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:08 PM

Hi, thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll try both measuring with the tester at ignition and checking the ground connections.

I'll let you know.