Notices
Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 1953 through 1967

Broken PowerGlide?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Default Broken PowerGlide?

Gearheads, I am trying to remove my 327 and powerglide together from my '66 convertible.
I think I am supposed to remove the driveshaft from the car first, but I can't see how I'm gonna get the u-bolts off the u-joints with the drive shaft locked up.
Can I pull the eng/trans first, then the shaft?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Default RE: C2 driveshaft removal.

Hi Crow, and welcome to the forums.

Make sure you chock the wheels before you remove the drive shaft so the car can't roll. Youshould be able toshift the transmissioninto neutral by hand with no problem. After you remove the U-bolts from the rear end, push the drive shaft into the transmission enough to clear the knuckle on the rear end, then pull the drive shaft from the transmission. If you can't remove it from under the car just pull it back out of your way. If you are going to pull the motor and transmission at the same time, you might want to put a pan or something under the tail of the transmission to catch any fluid that runs out. Good Luck

Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Next question, if the trans is broke? [/align] [hr] How do I get it to shift into neutral?

The last time I drove this car,about 5 years ago, I recklessly stepped on the go pedal to do a quick u-turn at the end of my concession, and it stalled halfway 'round.
It started right up again, but stalled everytime I put it in 'D'. When I tried 'R' it drove well enough to get me back to the shoulder of the road.
It's been sitting in the back of my garage since, awaiting a trans rebuild, and an overdue amount of attention.
Now, while trying to get into neutral to spin the prop shaft, I realize the linkage seems to be working, even the bell crank, but it won't let go of whatever gear its in.
Do I have to get inside the case if this is the problem, or are there any old tricks not in my manual that will do the job?

Thx again. Crow

Old 10-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Ok I see what you mean now. That is odd. Does it act like it's stuck in park?

Just taking a guess here, but it sounds like the park lock is engaged. You should be able to remove the pan and have access to it.

Here is a link that might give you some idea what to look for.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...nsmission5.htm

Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 PM

I picked her up and yep, the wheels spin, but, the drive shaft is still in some gear, probably reverse. I can hear it engaging in the case, wheels spin quietly, and smooth in shifter neutral.

I have an engine leveller on my chain block, has anyone used one of these to cheat the eng/trans out without removing the u-joints or shaft?
I figure I can free up about 5" of forward lateral engine movement if I remove the motor mounts, exhaust mans, and balancer. Would that be enough to disengage the trans. from the companion flange?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Crow44

I picked her up and yep, the wheels spin, but, the drive shaft is still in some gear, probably reverse. I can hear it engaging in the case, wheels spin quietly, and smooth in shifter neutral.......
Does the shaft spin with the wheels? Could it be the rear end? instead of the tranny?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 AM

This is a 2 speed auto powerglide, right? When you spin the wheel, does the wheel on the other side spin in the opposite direction?

As for the engine leveler, it's a great tool for pulling the engine and transmission at the same time. I don't see why you can't just go ahead and pull them, the drive shaft is going to just slide out of the tail of thetransmission within the first 5 or 6 inches of moving everything forward.

I may be dead wrong, but it stillsounds like the parkinglock is still engaged, but I wouldn't worry about it though, I would just go ahead and pull em out.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Something similar happened to my 85Camaro once, it hada 350 turbo hydromatic transmission. One Sunday afternoon, the wife and I went for a ride, just down the street, I wanted her to drive the old car. When got to the end of the road, she turned around to head back. Well there's about a two mile stretch of straight road, so I told her to pull it down in low and kick it from a dead standstill. The car had an old slapstick shifter, so you could shift it quick and not worry about missing second and Going straight to third. Anyway, she nailed it, when she went to shift, it didn't shift, wouldn't do anything, wouldn't go in park, reverse, anything, so we had to drive about eight miles back to the house in first gear, and what made it worse is, the car had 4:10 gears in the rearend, anyway it was a long ride back to the house.

The next morning I went to see the transmission guy, he was about 70 years young, he had a small shop beside his house. On the way to his shop, I stopped and picked up a 12 pack of beer, I knew he liked to drink a beer every evening after work. Thing about this guy is, youcouldcall him on the phone and ask him a question regarding a transmission, and he will give you his un-divided attention and do everything in his power to help you.He's helped me out many times, so the least I could do is take him a 12 pack.

Well, I got there and explained what my transmission was doing and he took me out back to a pile of old transmissions and found one just like the one I had, the pan was already off. He showed me what to look for in my transmission, he even told me that therewould be ahex head nut laying in the oil pan when I removed it. Sure enough, when I pulled the pan there was a nut laying in the pan just like he said.

What had happened, is the linkage inside of the transmission had come completely off, there's only one nut holding it on. the linkage connects to a long sliding tube connected by a metal clip., it moves when you move the shifter inside the car. The tube was shoved all the way in as far as it would go, which, by the way, is 1st gear, the gear it was stuck in. Took about five minuted to put the linkage back together. Problem solved, and all it cost was a 12 pack of beer. He also told me, if I had hit my breaks hard after the linkage fell off, that the tube inside the transmission would of slid forward and would have slammed itself into park. I'm glad I didn't because I wouldn't have been able to drive it home.

So, it's possible that the same thing could be wrong in yours.

Foot Note:

The same guy saved my mom over &2000.00 one time. The dealership was going to charge $2000 and some odd dollars to replace the transmission in her van. They said the transmission was "bad". I called Aurthur, that was the guys name, and told him what it was doing and he told us to bring it tohim so he could check it out. Later that afternoon he called and said the van was fixed. Charged us $56.00 for a switch and the labor to replace it. I'm sad to say that Aurthur died about three months ago, couldn't have asked for a better guy.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Yep, it's broke.
I'm working on the cardboard floor as it now, so outta respect to my aging bones, I'm gonna try to slip the combo out, and up, with the drive shaft intact, before I start dismantling stuff.
I just wish someone had said they've done this before a 1000X, and it was easier than changing the wife's oil on a Saturday night.
Arthurs of the world are a valuable commodity, and should be treated as such. You can't buy experience, you can only earn it.
Thanks to everyone for their time and ideas, I'm going with a nice '72 355/350 swap/install and crating the original powertrain until I have the time and resources to rebuild them. I'll try to post the actual damage when I get a chance to learn how to dismantle and diagnose a broken PG properly, and then do it.

Name:  IM000619.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  55.1 KB