Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 1953 through 1967

Drive it or trailer queen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 12:14 PM
Default Drive it or trailer queen?

I restored and updated my 62 about 13 years ago. there have been years when I only drove it a half dozen short drives, for various reasons, but normally I try to put at least 2-300 miles on it each summer. this year I've turned over 400 miles so far. I've been to enough shows to know there are at least a 8-10 other C-1s in town but I never see them being driven. How many of you drive your C-1 (or C-2) on nice days or is it in the garage except for shows? just curious.

62 with L-98 TPI and 6 speed ZF

Old 09-02-2023, 06:39 AM

. Nice Ride, I would hate to turn that into a dust collector. When I had a 62 (when I was 19) I drove it every chance I got, but that's your decision, Unless its a all numbers matching car I wouldn't worry about acquired miles. Why people park them and don't drive them I don't, know, either original or they don't want to get it dirty, I think. It's hard on a machine to let it sit and do nothing with it. It's good to run them through heat cycles and keep their juices flowing. You need to change the fluids either way. As a C-3 owner, My vote would be keep driving it like you have been. (I do miss my old 62 396 4 speed, fun party car).

Old 09-02-2023, 11:00 AM

I too would drive that! It's way more fun to drive than look at. I think more people should drive their old cars.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77
. Nice Ride, I would hate to turn that into a dust collector. When I had a 62 (when I was 19) I drove it every chance I got, but that's your decision, Unless its an e need to keep our own juices flowing alsoall numbers matching car I wouldn't worry about acquired miles. Why people park them and don't drive them I don't, know, either original or they don't want to get it dirty, I think. It's hard on a machine to let it sit and do nothing with it. It's good to run them through heat cycles and keep their juices flowing. You need to change the fluids either way. As a C-3 owner, My vote would be keep driving it like you have been. (I do miss my old 62 396 4 speed, fun party car).
We need to keep our own juices flowing also. I do understand about not driving it if it's numbers matching, rare, low milage etc, but how many truly meet those criteria these days? I figure the reason I own this car is because it reminds me of an earlier time in my youth. my cars never gathered dust in my garage during my youth! I could never afford the car I wanted (this) back then, but in 75 or so I owned a 72 Duster 340 that often had a stack of kayaks on the roof headed for whitewater adventures every weekend. the enjoyment was in the driving of the car! Now that I have my car I not only love driving it, I love the reactions from passers by. people LOVE seeing it out on the road being enjoyed and give a steady stream of thumbs up, "nice car", "beautiful" etc. it's great to see people smile in this day and age especially.

Old 09-02-2023, 05:10 PM

Exactly! I get the same responses every time I take out my vintage ski boat.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:04 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 74HARLEY
Exactly! I get the same responses every time I take out my vintage ski boat.
As in wooden? love those also!

Old 09-03-2023, 04:57 AM

Harley you mention a wooden ski boat and I think back on a guy I worked with back in the mid 90's (a retired navy F-4 pilot) that had one. I never saw the boat, it was 100 miles north in a resort town called McCall, but it was wood, 16 or 18 feet, inboard and he was restoring it. Sanding it down and replacing many coats of marine varathane. He brought me the engine and transmission from the boat and wanted me to replace the engine. It had a 292 ford (late 50' early 60's) and he wanted a 312 to replace it. So he brings me the 292 and trans and then he brings me a 59 or 60 Ford Ranchero with a rebuilt 312 in the back in a crate, a long block he bought from a widow her husband had. So I had the engine balanced and put back together with all the marine stuff, he had the camshaft ground in oregon. The strange part was the engine ran in reverse of what the normal direction of a car engine. He said to change the engine oil he had to suck it out of the dipstick tube. He said it purred like a kitten..

Last edited by thomas77; 09-03-2023 at 05:52 AM. Reason: wrong mileage
Old 09-03-2023, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Russ544
As in wooden? love those also!
Almost, lol. It's a 1966 Century. First year for them to make a glass hull. But the top surround is mahogany so most people assume it's a wood hull. I'll have to find a good picture.

Old 09-03-2023, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 74HARLEY
Almost, lol. It's a 1966 Century. First year for them to make a glass hull. But the top surround is mahogany so most people assume it's a wood hull. I'll have to find a good picture.
17' Century Fibersport. I'd love to see it.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:28 AM

Here you go! This is last fall. Yes,she still looks this good. Just finishing a major overhaul of the hull itself. New stringers, prop shaft, water pump, and a few other goodies.

Quick Reply: Drive it or trailer queen?