Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1973 ride height

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Default 1973 ride height

Just joined this forum and have a question or two. I have a 1973 corvette small block with air,I have owned it for 15 years now. I recently finished a complete suspension rebuild on the front and rear. Now I understand it will sit a bit higher. I put new springs on the front as well. It seems to me like it sits high all the way around,but all measurements are within an 1/8" on all 4 corners. The old springs (front and rear) were completly shot. So I guess my question is does anyone have any measurements that I can go by? It doesnt look horrible but it sits much higher than before.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Welcome to the site, I have a book that gives factory height specs, It'll take me some time to find the book since we are still organizing from our recent move. I'll try to get back to you.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 AM

UPDATE: I did find the ride height specs. I found that it is sitting 2 inches high from the measuring point. It states that it should sit roughly 8" off of the ground. It says to measure behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel. From that point I am just a tic over 10". Confused.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM

You stated that you completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension, new springs will take some time to settle. Did you install rubber or polyurathane bushings? If you used rubber you may have to loosen the anti-rollbar clamps and any clamping device associated with the other bushings-let the weight of the car settle the height and re-tighten the clamps. If you used polyurathane the ride height is going to be higher than factory because of the new springs and very little resistance in the poly bushings, they rotate with the motion of the "A" arms, trailing arms, etc. and won't tend to return the suspension to the "at rest" posistion. It sounds like you found the ride height specs that I have but if you want to compare we can do that.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Ok...anti roll bar clamp....you may have to point me in that direction. I did use rubber bushings. And everything is new. For the rear am I correct that a shorter bolt will lower it or do I need a longer one? The other problem is that the suspension has been deteriorating over a long period of time...so it just may be im not used to sitting this high. Still would like it to be a touch lower though.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Your Vette came with an anti-roll bar in the front and depending on which suspension package it may also have a rear anti-roll bar. Both of these together don't normally raise the vehicle but if you replaced all of the other bushings in the suspension and installed the "A" arms, trailing arms, anti-roll bars and springs with the car on a hoist or jackstands the suspension would be completely unloaded. When the clamps and bushings were tightened in this position they are locked in. The rubber bushings won't rotate with the suspension component and they will try to hold the suspension in the unloaded position, when you get the car back on the ground the rubber is acting like extra "spring" and slightly raising the ride height. You need to loosen the hardware and let the tension off of the rubber and then re-tighten everything with the suspension loaded. The rear height can be lowered with a longer bolt, I replaced my steel spring pack with a fiberglass mono-spring and had to use a longer bolt to get the rear back down to a normal height. I replaced every joint and bushing in my suspension, I used rubber in some where I wanted the smooth, soft isolation and polyurathane in some where I wanted tight steering, I'm happy with the outcome.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 PM

well I did manage to find some 8" bolts and the rear sits perfectly. The front I am going have to get some time and "play" with it to find my desired height. Now I have encountered a few unexpected problems as well, but its a corvette and I expect nothing less,lol! I appreciate all of your help and will get back with you to let you know the results of the front. Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM

The front will just have to settle on it's own with use. Other than what I suggested there is no height adjustment like the rear suspension has. It should get better with use.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 AM

With "use "means w/time. I have a 78,and was never satisfied with the ride height. It seemed to high.As far as
I know the front springs have never been replaced. I removed the front springs and cut 1 whole dimension off. At the rear I installed a pair of 8"screws. The stance on the car now is stout,and has not compromised handling.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Other option for the front is to use a coilover setup. A little pricey tho. About $600-$900 depending on single or double adjustable shocks. There's also a couple of coilover options for the rear now.

Quick Reply: 1973 ride height