Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1973 ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Y'all keep in mind that "ride height" and "spring responce" are two different animals.
The suspension that I have allows for the adjustment of one, without affecting the other.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

But I don't think from what I've read, the monoleaf/leaf spring is as independent as coilover.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

My understanding is that since the mono spring is anchored in the center, each side still operates independantly and does not effect the performance of the oposite side.
It's not like the old solid axle of the '30's per say, since the solid axle caused an effect to the oposite side. The "A-arms" are still used with the mono spring providing an independant action.
The mono spring system with the adjustable ride height was developed for auto cross racing use and I just can't argue with that. I'd never go back to the original suspension. No, or at least VERY little body roll in the twisties, flat and fast as hell, like she's painted on the road. I've seen many motorcycles fade in the rear view mirror with little effort on my part. ; )

Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

If I understood what I read about it, it had to do w/ the action of one wheel going up put a twisting moment on the center of the car rather than just pushing up on the frame above the wheel. I wished I remembered where I saw that so I could refresh my memory.

This doesn't really support my argument but was all I could find. It does point out how the two point mount (like your front, maybe rear also, don't remember how it attaches back there) contributes to roll stiffness. Also yours cuts weight vs a leaf which ain't bad.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The end of the mono spring ataches to the "A" arm assembly providing the suspension action.
I believe that if there IS any "twisting" of the center portion of the frame is defeated by the oposite side. I seriously doubt there is any "twisting" involved.
If anything, I believe that the mono front setup actually provides MORE stability overall.
The rear spring still achors in the same manner as the original.
I see no difference in a supposed "twisting" in the front compared to a supposed "twisting" in the rear.
I really think it is a non-issue.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Like you said earlier, the proof is in the pudding. I doubt I'd invest in the Sharkbite kit as it looks like Rube Goldberg setup. Somehow changing vertical motion to horizontal is a little over the top. Wonder also if that puts a lateral force on the rearend?

Now I like the coilover VanSteel design but too rich for my blood. Might give their front coilover a try tho.

Is there a way to subscribe to this section so I get an e-mail for any new posts?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

As far as the movement in the front, the "A" arms are still functioning as normal.
No lateral movement other than normal action of the "A" arms.
The rear also functions as normal.
The main features are being able to adjust the spring responce AND ride height, and this can be done independantly on all four corners.
The system I have was developed by "Vette Brakes" and was purchaced through Ecklers.

Pics from cataloge.

Name:  011_HPIM0087-1.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  89.6 KB

Here is the system after instalation.

Left rear spring responce adjustment.

Name:  HPIM0396.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  64.5 KB

Left rear spring height adjustment.

Name:  HPIM0395.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  88.9 KB

Right front responce adjustment.

Name:  006_HPIM0076.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  66.7 KB

Right front ride height adjustment.

Name:  010_HPIM0084.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  71.7 KB

Everytime you post to a thread, you should get an e-mail notice of further postings in that thread. I do.
If you don't, go to your page, I believe that you can designate to receive responces to threads from there.
As far as new posts, no, you need to subscribe to the thread first.
I usually go to "New Posts" each time I check in. That will give you a list of "New Posts" since you last logged in.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Wonder why it works different on the Chevroletforum.com?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I like the way you can easily adjust the spring rate on the VB design. I noticed a "Right" label on the left strut rod. Is that OK? Also did you have to weld the brackets on for the front spring?

I noticed this in one of my engineering mags today. Interesting concept. According to the inventor, the tire always remains in full contact no matter where it is in suspension travel.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

No welding, it is a bolt on system.
The strut rod goes to the right side of the left side. The other one is labled for the left side of the right. Follow me? That way you don't swap ends. It confused me at first, but that's how the paperwork shows it.

I just did some diggin' around and this is what I came up with.....
Go to the "User Control Panel", then to "Subscriptions", then to "Edit Folders". You can add and delete subscriptions there. I just did that and it should work. (crossed fingers)

Last edited by C3 Starship; 02-19-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 1973 ride height