Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1979 Electrical Problem (short)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Default 1979 Electrical Problem (short)

I have had an electrical problem that has beendraining my battery for quite awhile. I followed the procedures (Haynes manual) for finding a short in the electrical system. I narrowed it down to the CTSY CLK fuse. This fuse controls the courtesy lights, cigar lighter, door lock switches, door lock motors, and glove box light. It also looks like it feeds into the radio...Is there any way to narrow it down further? If I start disconnecting things, where do you think I should start and the easiest location because this could get pretty deep I think. The interior was all redone about 5 years ago and all original gauges and radio installed. Everything works????? Your help would really be appreciated.

Dan

Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM
pg
Default RE: 1979 Electrical Problem (short)

Hi riley6riley, all the systems you mentioned are "Live" with the key off, check to make sure that a diode in the alternator is not bad. PG

Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 PM

The Haynes manual goes through a procedure (page 5-6) if you have one. It told me to disconnect the alternator and see if the test light is still on, and it was. I disconnected the connector from the regulator when I did that. Was that correct and is that what you mean by checking if one of the diodes is functioning?
Thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 04:32 PM

After checking the diode (dead on PG), my next choice would be the radio. This is the only one of the things that you mention that has complex circuitry. Corrosion or a bad solder joint in the radio could cause a slow drain. That's where mine was. Fortunately, I found a NOS am/fm/8track from a dealership on ebay, still in the shrinkwrap, so I was able to put everything back to stock when I yanked out the third party piece of crap and fix the voltage leak.

bill.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:39 PM

The radio is new (I assume a remanufactured Corvette one) but I disconnected the red and black wire going to the back of the radio and the short was still there. Should I try disconnecting any thing else. I can get to all the wires behind the radio. I have started disconnecting parts that are involved with that circuit. So far I have done the drivers door and the damn short is still some where. I will keep all informed.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 PM
pg

Hi again riley6riley, yes on page 5-4 parts 16 & 17.
go here- http://www.4wheelnoffroad.com/alter.htmlPG

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM

I have disconnected each item the CTSY CLK fuse goes to one at a time and no luck finding the short. I have a wiring diagram on the way because the one in the haynes manual is not detailed enough. My question: It appears that the "orange" wire is the wire that is going to all the CTSY CLK parts. Do you think I could disconnect the orange wire from that circuit on the back of the fuse panel and run a jumper wire from the back of the fuse panel to each part in that circuit until I find the short? Does this sound like a good way to find the short or am I just out in left field? I am taking the alternator up to get it tested. It is brand new (from the last owner) but it could be a piece of &^%$.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 PM
pg

We need a progress report!
Post # 3 Did you see the long checklist on page 5-2 section 6 Charging System check-could the answer be listed there?
Post # 7 I think the wire you mentioned brings power to the fuse box, so disconnecting that my not help.
The radio-modern radio's have the same colors:
yellow-12v constant power-for memory
red-12v switched
black -ground
blue -power antenna.
The Alternator Diodes-only way I no to test the diodes is to take it apart and test them.
Hope you get this fixed soon, PG

Old 08-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Sorry for the delay. I disconnected everything I could under the dash, doors, counsol...and no luck, it still shows a short somewhere in that circuit. I think it may be in the engine compartment. I got the wiring diagrams from for the vette from e-bay so I think I am going to start from the battery and trace some wires. I have to put the project on hold for awhile, last Tuesday I got a call from my ship and they said that they wanted me to fly over to meet them early, so I am in Bahrain right now on my down to Africa to meet them.

Thanks for all the help and I will be back later this year.

Dan

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
pg

Peace and prayers be with you, PG

Quick Reply: 1979 Electrical Problem (short)