Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1979 fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Default 1979 fuel line

I was in the process of replacing my power steering pump that was leaking and found out that the fuel line is leaking between the fuel pump and carb ( I may have punctured it pulling the power steering pump out). My fuel line which is a rubber hose runs from the passenger side under the flywheel and up the front of the engine on the driver side to the fuel filter and carb. I have a Holly 600 so the fuel inlet is on the driver side of the carb.

I looked around online and the only fuel line (metal) I can find is from the fuel filter to the carb but it for a passenger side carb fuel inlet. Is it safe to use a rubber re-enforced hose for my fuel line and should it go up the driver side or should I go over the top of the engine? Not sure if it is an original fuel line, it was there when I bought it about a year ago.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Default RE: 1979 fuel line

I like the stainless steel braid covered rubber hoses. Keeps the occasional bumps and scrapes from hurting the hose, and lets you see pretty quick if anything rubs. I also like adding an in-line filter between the pump and the carb, and then adding a reasonable length between the filter and the carb.

Mine has a Holley 4150, which required some "plumbing" to get the dual feed to the carb. Original on a 79 should have been a Rochester Qjet, so it is likely not original. I would say plumb it like you want it, and do whatever gives you confidence in it. Metal is fine, but rubber lasts forever as well. Braided gives you the best of both worlds in my humble opinion. Routing over the intake isn't a problem either. Just make sure you fix it in place so it doesn't "wander" with any slack.

bill.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

As I've said before, there's a reason the General used steel tubing on the pressure side. It's called preventing fires. Now I know they use rubber on FI cars now but it's a lot different than the fuel rated rubber that you buy at Western Auto.

Riley: not sure I understand why they ran the fuel line back under the flywheel then back to the carb. Why not just come up the front of the block and cross over the intake manifold? Avoids going past the exhaust system on both sides.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 AM

I am going to get some hose today and take a look this weekend to see what way is best. I will let everyone know.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 AM

If you do your regular maint., the rubber line is OK, however I don't like running it where it's not visible as leaks can occur and be undetected. The braided rubber line sounds great, safe,easy to work and looks good too. If you want steel line, just buy a cheap tubing bender and cutter and get after it. You can insulate the steel line so you have cooler fuel too. The main thing w/ fuel line, besides plenty of fuel to go like hell, is safety. There are afew safe methods/routes w/ all three materials.
I like to keep the line easily visible and in the coolest place(s). Just takes some planning. Sleep on it and get to work.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Well, I changed out the fuel line and used a braided rubber line. Put it up the passenger side of the engine and across the top front of the engine over to the carb inlet. I understood what you ment by being able to see it and you can see the leaks. Maybe if I get some time I may change it to steel tubing. Evertyhing is back up. As soon as it stops raining every day, I will take it out. Can't get the car dirty.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you do decide to change to steel, most auto parts stores have doubled flared steel tubing w/ fittings on both ends and assorted lengths and sizes. That way w/ a good bending tool like Texas Jim mentioned, you can get back to the factory look.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM

Took it for a test drive today and the pully on the power steering pump almost came off. The only thing holding it on was the fan shroud. I was on the side of the road so I had to cut the power steering belt and drive home with no power steering. Do you know what I did wrong? I thought I pressed the pully on all the way, I guess not though. I will look at it tomorrow and try again.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 AM
pg

The nut must have come off. PG.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/7FFD5DC2F8904D9DA6750F2672D0F11C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/0C92150662104B3ABBEA2B8DD355F66C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

I think his pump has the base engine pump w/ a pressed on pulley. The one in your pic is the one on the HP engines and has a deep groove pulley. At least that's what my L-82 has on it.

Quick Reply: 1979 fuel line