Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

454 hangin' from a tree

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Default RE: 454 hangin' from a tree

Your a tipical farmer as well,using a tractor to install the rat.Bin there done that,a number of times.Good luck with the install.Just stopped in cause I heard you were grown 454's on trees down there.Sorry to here it's not true,I was goin to come down and pick me some.HA!!!Been real busy up here and haven't had a chance to get to the forum. Hope all is well with everyone and good luck with the install Dave.Talk at ya later.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

About 6:00 last night, I thought, "why not drop that sucka in right now?", but....
I got a setback. [&o]Even though the tractor popped the 350 out, like a cork out of a bottle, it wont pick up the 454 more than about 2 ft. off the ground. [:@]
Man,........ talk about a HEAVY CHEVY!
I have a plan though...
My tripod is too short to use my chain hoist (that's why I used my tractor), so I'm goin' into town after work tomorrow, and pickin' up enough pipe to extend the pod legs another 4 ft. I shall not be deterred!
I have a 3 day weekend commin' up, and I will succeed.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:46 PM

Now it wer'nt to long ago that you told us 'ya dug a trench with your backhoe, but now 'yer tellin' me you can't lift the bigblock with either the bucket or the boom? Can you chain or cable between the bucket and hoe and use one to help the other, maybe add a come-a-long in between? Just kinda' stabbin' in the dark here 'cuz I don't know what your working with.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm......interesting concept Buckshot. This isn't a commercial size hoe, that's why it's too weak. The front arms is what won't do the lift. I can pick up the 454 by rolling the bucket back. Once the engine is off the ground, the arms will hold possition, just not lift. I'll lookinto the idea of a chain connection to the hoe boom. I have cables and chains allright, tieing in at the top of the first section of the boom may be possible. Putting you on hold while I go look......................
.................................................. .................................................. ....................
.................................................. .................................................. ....................
nope, a straight line from the first knuckle of the boom, to the top of the bucket, goes right through the engine cowling on the tractor.
When I originally took the BB off the trailer, I had to slide the engine to the rear of the trailer, at which point I could pull it straight off without lifting. I didn't need to lift it to get it into the storage container. Just didn't find it neccesary. Never dawned on me I couldn't lift it higher. [&o] I just hooked onto it, rolled the bucket back and drove away.
Well, as long as I have waited now, a few more days really won't matter. I'm goin' to go with adding length to the pod poles, then I can use my chain hoist and have better control when lowering the engine into the car. Lower a little, wiggle a little, lower some more, then wiggle some more.
Ya had a good idea, it's just thatachain orcablebetween the two, would crush the engine cowl.
I'll get 'er in, you can bet on that!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:00 PM

[align=left]Dave...
[align=left]Love the whole 454 in a tree you got going on. I'm trying to find a picture in the archives of the local rag here in Whitefish of a 65 we put in a tree about 1978. Oh... and I don't mean in a tree in the usual sense either... I mean in a tree 15 feet off the ground! We kinda missed a turn on the way down from the ski hill... and got stuck between 2 trees... level... had to climb out over the hood.
Hey Busnut... you into coach conversions too? I saw the name and had to ask. I posted a pic of my 4106 under my name...
See ya all later
Wedge
[/align][/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 05-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]That's funny as heck!
I'd love ta see that pic! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 05-20-2007, 06:13 PM

It sounds like you better go with the tri-pod to be on the safe side, like you said, you'll have better control and can probably handle it yourself, are you dropping the engine and tranny in together or just the engine? Another thought I had was to strip all of the easy heavy stuff off the 454 like the water pump, intake, maybe even the heads to lighten it up but that might be more than you want to reassemle, just thought the tractor could then handle the short block pretty easy.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

The intake, flywheel and bell are on it. I never pull or install with the tranny on, too awkward. Most times, ya have ta repossition the load to get them in together. Doin' just the engine, is a straight pull, and a straight drop.
And yes, I do it allmyself. I'ts a wonder most of my friends out here can put gas in their cars, let alone install an engine, and they'll admit to it.I'm a bit of a loner in that respect, 'causeaskin' one of them to help, is kinda like askin' a dog to meow. One of the reasons I locked into CF, FINALLY, people who know what's what.
If I had a garage to work in, I wouldn't mind strippin' the block, but we have a lot of wind, and I don't want to get dirt blown into a fresh engine, or any engine for that matter. I have the exhaust ports, water pump ports,carb, and dist. holes taped off. (bolt holes too)

Old 05-20-2007, 07:22 PM

With all that iron allready bolted up that thing probably weighs 750lbs. , don't get your fingers caught. Heck, I could bring my vette out and give you a hand, have the car media blasted by mother nature and come back home with it ready to paint. Good call taping all the openings. Seems to be fewer folks everyday willing to get their hands a little dirty-used to be everyone was a jack-of-all trades, now the poor kids comin' out of high school can't even tie their own shoes.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Wedge

[align=left]Dave...
[align=left]Love the whole 454 in a tree you got going on. I'm trying to find a picture in the archives of the local rag here in Whitefish of a 65 we put in a tree about 1978. Oh... and I don't mean in a tree in the usual sense either... I mean in a tree 15 feet off the ground! We kinda missed a turn on the way down from the ski hill... and got stuck between 2 trees... level... had to climb out over the hood.
Hey Busnut... you into coach conversions too? I saw the name and had to ask. I posted a pic of my 4106 under my name...
See ya all later
Wedge
[/align][/align][align=left][/align]
Hey wedge,the name is kind of a give away. I can't afford a larger highway type bus,I have a 38' bluebird flatnose.It really works alot better for what I do , with the higher ground clearance and real good monouverability.We have had it for a while and are in the midst of converting it.She runs a tall block 427 ,allison 4spd auto ,bud wheels , air brakes etc.She is set up really nice. Hey Dave are you stallin again.I should send down one of my engine hoists for ya.Ya know if ya pull the front clip you could slide that puppy (rat) right in the front.Anyhow good luck with the lift and be safe. talk at ya later.

Quick Reply: 454 hangin' from a tree