Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

454 hangin' from a tree

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Default RE: 454 hangin' from a tree

I'm impatient and want some YouTube on this.

are you taking.. 'in the process' pics?

Old 05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Be impatient all ya want, ah ain't gonna hurry now.
Ya won't find the "Starship" on You Tube, but yes, I'm takin' pics and will post when the process is over.
Will set the engine in the hole this afternoon. It's sittin' under the tri pod right now. Had to come in to get soda, cool down, and wipe the swet from the inside of my glasses.
Planin' to get 'er ta"Pop", no later thanMonday. A minor contribution to Global Warming, don't cha know!

Old 05-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

O. K., it's in the hole. Not bolted up, that'll be done tomorrow. I won't go into detail right now, I'm savin' that info for pic captions. Let's just say, that I had to get very creative to get 'er in.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, I'm usin the same motor mounts on the 454,as a 350.
They fit just fine.
I'm not finding anything unusual about the conversion, except that the 454 is alot heavier. I expected that, but WOW, I mean a LOT heavier. The front suspension seems to be carryin' it with no substantial ride height change. Which I can adjust anyway. I'll prob drop it another inch all the way around, and stiffen up the front mono spring. I don't mean to throw flowers on myself, but that suspension system I installed last year is very impressive. [sm=smiley20.gif]
I just thank Ecklers for carrying the kit.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

(Dang it, tried to post a pic but it wouldn't come through. [:@])

Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Congrats. on the install Dave.It sure feels good to get it in eh! Can't wait to see the pics. and read the captions. Talk at ya later

Old 05-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Dang it! [:@]
Oil pan hits on the steering. I'm lackin' about 3/4 inch of linin' up the driver side mount bolt, the passenger side is in. So.....if you're thinkin' of doin' this conversion, the oil pan configuration is critical. On the hunt now, for the correct oil pan.
At least the real heavy work is done, the 454 is in the hole. That was a project in it's self. Had to use a little "Red Neck Engineering".

Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM
pg

Hi Starship, I enjoy you progress reports. I have to laugh when people say, Yeah, a big block will fit, no problem, yes it will fit but there are so many "little" things, that everybody forget to tell you, like oil pan clearence, gas lines, carb linkage, and on and on, so you you just keep working at your pace and well keep rooting you on, just rember it's your project and as time and your budget permits" you'll get er done".
Best to you. PG

Old 05-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks pg! I'm glad I have moral support.
Ya, the little things.
It'll fit alright, ya just gotta have all the right parts. That's the trick.
The engine is out of a truck, so I was expecting something to not match up.
Summit has the pan, but now I can't get it 'til Tues. And I'll have ta get a chrome one, oh darn. Might as well get the chrome valve covers too.
I really am havin' fun here, especially with the anticipation of what I'll have when I'm done.

Still on the list of stuff to get/do....
Nest of snakes headers
Sidepipes (no mufflers if I can get away with out 'em, concidering all the noise the boom box crowd makes. That'll be my arguement in court. )
L-88 hood, or what ever I need to run low rise quad carb
Ground effects
Twelve inches of rubber, all the way around.
Then the interior w/twin racing seats and 5 pt. harnesses, and paint
Blueshark and Ihave even been talking a custom wing

But for now, I'll settle for just gettin' the 454 runnin'.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 AM

Hey Starship, I thought of this small, sometimes missed issue the other day but could'nt post at the time. Did the 454 your puttin' in originally come from a truck with a manual tranny, the crankshaft needs to have the pilot bushing for the nose of the transmission shaft to ride in, hope I'm not to late or better yet I hope you allready were aware of the need. Good luck, talk at ya latter.

Quick Reply: 454 hangin' from a tree