Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

454 Transplant, edited by C3 Starship

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default 454 Transplant, edited by C3 Starship

I have a 1980 L-82. It over heated and collapsed the rings on the 350. I am currently building a fresh 400 HP, 454 for transplant. Any advice concerning installation? Is this a straight-up install? I want to put in headers with side pipes too. I'm a Chey rodder from way back, when you could change engines like underwear, in about 1 1/2 hrs.
Never done a Vette though. Since Vettes are Chevys, and Vettes came with 454s, and I don't have to deal with that computer crap (all that stuff was gone when I got my baby, straight up '60s electronics, and no smog), I'm expecting a fairly easy, out with the old and in with new. I know that header routing can be a pain sometimes. I'll be putting in a high cap aluminum radiator and possibly elec. fans, all backed up by an M-22. If no one responds, it's O.K., I can handle it!!! I just want a heads up on any surprises, if anyone has done this. I'll let y'all know how it went when I'm done.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Default RE: 454 Transplant, edited by C3 Starship

I want to do the same thing. Can you post what troubles you came across. I am sure you will have to change the front springs out. And motor mounts maybe. Looking forward to the response. Dan

Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

As far as the front springs, I changed out the front suspension for a mono spring setup that is fully adjustable for spring responce and ride height. Motor mounts should not have to change. I'll let you know as things progress.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM

You might want to rethink the sidepipes!
Everyone I know who had them removed them.
Reasons are extreme heat that rises up the side of the car making it very unconfortable on warm days. Also it is very easy to get a serious burn from them. I know at least 3 people who got a nasty burn from them. One guy got 3rd degree on hand when he opened the door and touched the pipe by accident.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3231/C3C0C1D9363B459DABDC7241BCF5A63F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ya know, I gave this a lot of thought. I realize the heat factor can be uncomfortable and can cause burns.
I look at it like this, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. The only time I see the heat as a prob is getting in and out. I'm making a move to Idaho next year and the radiant heat should not be as much a prob in the cooler climate. I've also been looking into a gull wing style door system that might make entering and leaving a little safer. If you own a knife, remeber that it's sharp.
Thanks for the pointer.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
pg

Hi Starship, Side pipes on a big block 454. You'll love it! You will rock the house! Heat is not a problem at Starship speed. I had them on my 66 Conv. small block. I had to go for a ride as soon as I put on the side pipes. When I got back I went to get out and with no covers I nearly burned my ancle off. Don't forget the covers!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:06 AM

Oh My....Idaho is not ALASKA!!! This summer alone we had quite a few days hit 100 or more...It just isn't as humid as a lot of other places, but hot IS hot and it gets hot here and stays hot through the late evening.....In any case, the side pipes look at home on a vette and it is worth the sacrifice to have them...Just be a little more careful than usual jumpin' in n' out..besides, can't you beam yourself aboard the starship? Good luck, hey. did you get the L88 hood yet? Want one for mine but don't know if i want to graft it on the original hood or b[:@uy the whole hood...might look pretty cool withe lines that are already there..they would meet the scoop nicely...........Have fun' Russ[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Had straight thru, no restriction, leg burners on an old torino and never burned my legs. believe me they were hot too... would blow flame out the end. just have to remember where you are like not farting in church. even if they are hot they look cool!

"Buy it, build it and run the hell out of it!!."

Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hedhntr61

Oh My....Idaho is not ALASKA!!!
No, it's not! The area I'm headed to, half way between Boise and Cor'de lane (sp), around Grangeville and then 50 miles east to Elk City, it doesn't get above the high 80's nor below the mid 20's. It's in the mountains about 4000' to 4500' elevation.

Oh.....and George, smoke and fire, smoke and fire!!![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Oh ya Russ, the full L-88 hood is schedualed for X-mas, and maybe the ground effects too.

Quick Reply: 454 Transplant, edited by C3 Starship