Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

454 in a tree, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default 454 in a tree, part 2

Great weather out here in Reno, Nevada this weekend. [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Got the "Starship" unloaded from the trailer and into the back yard on Fri. Sat. was a wash out, due to family takin' up the day with my B-day. Today, Sun., I shot the bunny and focused on better uses of my time.
Over the winter I collected up2, 20' x 4" x 6" x 3/16""I" beams, 6 sticks of 2" x 10' x 1/8"box tubing, and some channel steel 11" x 12' x 1/8".
Now what does all that steel have to do with the "Starship"?
Well, I'm goin' to build a service rack. Spent the day gatherin' up the steel in one spot, takein' measurements, and drawin' some plans.
It'll be 11' long, 5 1/2' wide, and 2' high.
I've had it with jack stands, ramps, and a dirt pitto get under the "Starship", [:'(]never really felt that safe anyway. I'll have a plywood floor to scootch around on and a much cleaner area to work in.
There is still a lot of work to do on the under side, drop the fuel tank ( gas has gone bad and needs to be cleaned out ), fab and install the exhaust, and complete hookin' up all the little things ya find at the last minute.
I'll try to post up some pics as the rack comes along and keep y'all informed as all phases progress.

WARNING! This is goin' to be a loooong thread, and there will probably be some "Boviating" to be found![sm=icon_rofl.gif]

I'm goin' to be callin' on y'all from time to time, to get a few more pointers, O.K.?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
pg
Default RE: 454 in a tree, part 2

Way to go Starship, that will keep you safe and up 2' in the air will give you lots of room to work, thanks for the update, PG.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

cool!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Now bare with me, asI am new-ish to the forums, but what does boviating mean?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 AM

[align=left]You're obviously not a Rush Limbaugh fan... good to hear! "Bloviate \BLOH-vee-ayt\, intransitive verb: To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner." About a year back a gentleman (term used loosely) took offense to Dave's post detailing the install of the 454 in Starship. I guess the doc thought he was boasting, but we on the other hand enjoyed the tale. Check out the original thread '454 in a tree'... and feel free to bloviate right along with all the rest of us "bloviatin' bolviators!
[/align]

Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

....ah yes, the despare[sm=boohoo.gif],suspence[sm=WTFsgign.gif], mystery[sm=dontgetit.gif],
drama [sm=chairshot.gif], jovality of discovery[sm=bounceybounce.gif], and yes,.......
....the bloviating. [sm=chattypair.gif]

I try to give as much info as I can, just in case someone else is attempting the same task. I hope, that if I'm being real stumpid, some one will point it out. [sm=nothatway.gif]Otherwise, I'm goin' for it. [sm=gears.gif]

I'll be cuttin' and fittin' the partsfor the service rack this weekend.
Ohhh, the things we do in thelabors of Love, eh?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Measure twice and cut once or is it the other way around.

Definitely weld good.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM

My wife made up a first aid kit for my last big project... when I rebuilt the interior of our bus. A big roll of duct tape, super glue, a fire extinguisher, and a walkie talkie. If it bleeds, wrap it with tape. If that don't stop it, glue it back on with the super glue. The fire extinguisher serves two purposes... freezes the pain... or puts out the fire. Use walkie talkie to call for help when all else fails.

Ain't love grand?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are crackin' me up. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Fire extinguisher? For burns too right?
What about freezer burns from the CO2?

I got my speed square handy, a 25' tape, soap stone for markin',a Saws All with plenty of new blades (makes a clean cut with minimal grinding ), a four inch hand held grinder, and plenty of wire in the ol' buzz box.

Here's a little tip,....
When you're tryin' to weld with the sun at your back, drape a dark towel over the back of your hood. It'll stop the glare on the inside of your face shield. This is where the duct tape comes in handy, it holds the towel in place.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Towell over the head... see, thats where the fire extinguisher really comes in handy. I had to weld a spring perch back on my CJ5 in Moab one year. Used jumper cables and a coat hanger. It worked well enough to finish the trail and get me back to the bus... but not being a clean MIG gas shielded welder, it really splattered hot metal all over the place... and all over me for that matter. Got a few brands that day... fire extinguisher now mandatory. Wife's orders!
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: 454 in a tree, part 2