Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

68 ignition trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
ax
Default 68 ignition trouble

Hi All,
I have a 68 327 with a strange ignition issue. I have replaced all the main parts..Ie.. points, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, coil, and still have stalling at low RPM. I have tried 2 rebuilt carbs...1 Q-Jet 1 Holley with the same result. Some of the cyl's seem to be misfiring. If I remove the plug wire from the cap and let the spark arc from thecap to the plug wirethe cyl. will fire. When the wire is pushed all the wayinto the cap it will stop firing. I tightened the gap from .35 to about .30...same problem. The plugs I'm using are ac delco r45s. andstandard silicone 7.5mm wires. My thought is that the old points type ignition is just not putting out enough juice to fire the modern plugs and wires reliablyat low RPM.The fact that I can get them to fire leads me to think it's not a valve/head problem.
I was thinking of trying the pertronix ignition conversion to up the volts to the plugs.
Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what was the solution?
Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Default RE: 68 ignition trouble

Hi ax, welcome to the forum. Your point style ignition should have no trouble firing the new age plugs IF the distributor is in decent shape. Did you use high quality parts? Plug wires are not actualy wire but a carbon core to reduce radio interference, make sure to use a wire designed for the lower voltage system. Pull the cap and rotor back off and check the distributor shaft for worn bushings, you should not be able to wiggle the shaft sideways, any movement in this area will change the dwell as the engine changes speed. If the shaft and advance weights check out OK then double check the dwell, also I would not use the UNI-POINT kit, I don't know if that is still available but they were not as high quality as the seperate Delco points and condenser. Again I stress use good parts and the proper dwell and timing and it should not have an ignition missfire at low RPM, let us know what you find.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 AM
ax

Thanks Buckshot,
The points I was originally given at the parts store were the uni-point type,and I also have tried the2 peice set. I was going to try a different set of wires, and will get a low voltage set,(actually didn't know they had specific low volt wires)as that is my last resort before giving the pertronix conversion a try. The distributor seems in good shape. I removed and cleaned all the parts, and everything seems to be working properly. I might just get a dist. rebuild kit as well, just to be sure. The conversion kit uses the stock dist. anyway, so it can't hurt. Thanks for the tips!!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Hey ax, one other thing I thought of, check the primary voltage at the coil, that's the small wires on the threaded teminals, should have full battery voltage, you might see only 9-11 volts while cranking but with the engine running it should jump up to 12.5-14.5 roughly. Low or intemittent primary could cause weak spark.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

Hey ax, one other thing I thought of, check the primary voltage at the coil, that's the small wires on the threaded teminals, should have full battery voltage, you might see only 9-11 volts while cranking but with the engine running it should jump up to 12.5-14.5 roughly. Low or intemittent primary could cause weak spark.
I think you have this backwards. You get full battery voltage during cranking, then it drops due to the ballast resistor or resistor wire to prolong the life of the points by limiting the current during normal running. Also full voltage during cranking helps make up for the voltage drop caused by the starter motor and/or poor condition of electrical system in general.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 PM
ax

Got 12 volts with Ign. on, points open.....6v when points are closed. 12 v when cranking or running.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the ballast resistor/resistor wire has been removed. Running 12 volts all the time will make short life of your points. [:@]

Old 06-23-2007, 06:12 PM

GM did'nt use a ballast resistor but there may have been a resistor wire, 12 volts with it running should be OK.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM
ax

There are 2 wires( red with white cloth cover) coming from the coil + side that are crimped to the same spade terminal,but 1 wire is not connected to anything, just cut with elec tape on it.There is also the condenser wire, and selonoid wire on the coil + side.it looks like someone may have cut the ignition wire and put it's own connector on. (maybe wire was damaged). I wouldn't think that would make any difference would it?

Old 06-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

I had that same problem on a bike. it wouldn't fire if the wires were pushed all the way on the plugs but would run fine if I held them off a little. turned out the gap was to close. I opend up the gap and it ran fine. Not sure if that was the actual cause of the problem but it worked. Good luck with it. Let us know when you get it figured out. Cheers.

Quick Reply: 68 ignition trouble