Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   69 Drive Axel U-Joint? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/69-drive-axel-u-joint-6531/)

alive69 06-24-2007 11:17 AM

69 Drive Axel U-Joint?

Have a u-joint throwing a little rust debris from 1 cup. Probablydue to no grease left in there. Maybe someone out there has had this issue.It's the joint by the wheel not the differential. Havethe carblocked up and it looks like it should slip right out of there. Can it be that easy?? Can I pull that joint without tearing a lot of stuff apart under there? Need some advice. Thanks, j

pg 06-24-2007 01:05 PM

RE: 69 Drive Axel U-Joint?

Hi alive69, you will have to lososen the camber bolts to rotate the cam so you get enough clearance to get the half shaft. Just mark the bolts first and line them up again. Hope that helps, PG

cwb 06-24-2007 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: alive69

Have a u-joint throwing a little rust debris from 1 cup.
??? [sm=wtf.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Is the little rubber seal still there between the lip of the cup and the neck of the x-piece?

alive69 06-24-2007 04:45 PM

Yes, cwb. It is intact. I actually used a screwdriver and lifted it abit to see if I could determine if the joint wasdry. Could not see enough to determine so guessed that cup was the problem. j

78buckshot 06-24-2007 04:51 PM

If you can see rust from the bearing cap the U- joint is allready trashed, as long as you have the shaft out you should think about replacing both joints. Also when you remove the shaft, check the end play in the differential yoke, about 1/16 of an inch is OK.

cwb 06-24-2007 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

If you can see rust from the bearing cap the U- joint is allready trashed, as long as you have the shaft out you should think about replacing both joints. Also when you remove the shaft, check the end play in the differential yoke, about 1/16 of an inch is OK.
Sorry 69; I didn't know you had the half-shaft already out.

Yes, like buck said, replace both U's with heavy-duty, SERVICEABLE (with grease fittin's) x-pieces.

BE SURE THE CAPS ARE INSIDE THE LITTLE NOTCH OF THE YOKES, WHEN RE-INSTALLIN'...

C3 Starship 06-24-2007 10:06 PM

IMO, change the ones in the other shaft too, then ya can forget about 'em. ;)
All new, is better than half new. :)

73shark 06-24-2007 11:09 PM

I agree with getting joints with zerks. Make sure that the joints are installed such that the hole for the zerk is in compression when axle is going forward.

wrwalke 06-25-2007 01:26 PM

And at like $12-20 each. Definitely worth putting in all new stuff while you have it up in the air and ripped apart. :D

bill.

alive69 07-18-2007 01:19 PM

They arereplaced and reinstalled. Turning the camber boltslets the1/2 shaftfall right out. Removing the nuts from the u-bolts,on the differential end, is a slow process butwith patience theycome off.Cleaning the u-bolts and new nuts and lock washers puts itback together quickly. Thanks for the help here. j