Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

69 style side pipe insulators needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Default 69 style side pipe insulators needed

I just had the 69 style side pipes rechromed on my 73 convert and the insulators that the side pipes attach to were wrecked. I've looked everywhere for a set but no deal. Everyone sells them as a set, chrome covers, muffler and pipes and insulator. Corvette Central has the muffler and pipes seperate and the chrome covers seperate but not the insulators, they checked with the company that sells them to them and they will sell them to me for more money than I want to pay. Any chance anyone has an idea where I could get them? Looked on every used corvette part site I could find and right now it looks like I'm going to have to pony up for the new ones. By the way the place in Houston that rechromed my pipesand my rear bumpers did really good work. Superior Chrome great guys.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 69 style side pipe insulators needed

Here's some more choices.....
www.ecklers.com
www.mamotorworks.com
www.zip-corvette.com

Good luck Bro!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 AM
pg

Glad to hear that your happy with the "Chrome" work. Now all we need is some warm weather and time to get back to our cars.
For the parts you need www.DocRebuild.com has
rubber insulator 3602262 and
insulator retainer 3602263, hope that's what you need, PG.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

I think he is referring to the internal fiberglass shell that the covers mount to and which mounts to where the original rockers mounted.

On my first set of covers, I fabricated brackets from aluminum stock to mount the covers on. The downside was without the fiberglass insulator, the covers were literally blistering hot. I've got the scars to prove it. You soon learn how to exit without touching the covers.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

How did you repaint the charcoal metallic between the ribs? Curious as have had mine rechromed and looking for ideas.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 AM

You brought up the big question shark. My body guy has suggested that I try to get some black adhesive strips and cut them to fit then if they peel over time etc. you can always just put some more on. Still looking for suggestions. I have a sense that painting the strips would be tough and I don't know what paint you can apply over a chrome surface that would stick. If anyone has suggestions let me know.
Marty

Old 03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Years ago, I talked to the guy at the plant that actually made them back in '69 and he gave me the method that they used. Basically you apply an adhesion promoter first and then paint with a good auto paint. You can check at your local auto body paint store. I believe Duplicolor makes both. Before I stripped mine, I found a color that was a close enuf match. Don't remember what it was except I think it was a Ford color.[:@][:'(] It isn't black BTW. It was more of a charcoal gray metallic.
I plan to mask the fin portion and then spray the recessed portion in between. It will be awhile tho, as plan on putting my Hooker nest-of-snakes side exhaust on when I put it back together and run it that way for awhile.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:50 PM

That's really good info. I'm going to suggest it to the body guy before they put the covers on, should be easier that way. The hooker system will not only look good but I can imagine the sound!
Marty

Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mine are black but look OK and you're right about the sound. But you really have to be careful getting out of the car.

Good luck with yours.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
I think he is referring to the internal fiberglass shell that the covers mount to and which mounts to where the original rockers mounted.

On my first set of covers, I fabricated brackets from aluminum stock to mount the covers on. The downside was without the fiberglass insulator, the covers were literally blistering hot. I've got the scars to prove it. You soon learn how to exit without touching the covers.
Sorry for popping up an old thread but I'm in a similar situation with a nice set of 69 covers that have no insulators. Was wanting to fabricate some mounts myself. Any chance you have any photos of what you did?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 69 style side pipe insulators needed