Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

73 - Where do these 'things' go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Default 73 - Where do these 'things' go?

Hi All (again!). The ball valves for the heater core lines went in yesterday and there's no more warm air seeping in anymore. What a relief!

I've got a couple more mystery lines left in order to finish up this 73 Roadster and I have no clue where they go.

1) From my vapor canister, I have 3 lines coming out. The largest diameter line comes out and loops up to the fender wall and just ends and is not plugged. Is it supposed to be an open line? If not, where should it go? (By the way, while tracing the open line, I found that the vapor canister lid wasn't even attached.)

2) From my firewall right behind the dist. cap I have 2 lines coming through the firewall at a single port. The top one loops right back to under the windshield and goes down the passenger side and (I'm guessing) is OK. The lower one goes towards the driver side and ends with the vacuum line plugged with a stick crammed in it. I attached a link to a pic of the line in question and I drew a little circle around the line that's not attached. Where should this line go?

http://www.thestarkeys.org/vette/vac-line.jpg

3) I have a mystery orange wire coming from a harness on the passenger side right up the exhaust manifold and it capped off. It comes across with just a black wire and the black one links up with another harness. In the pic, the orange wire is laying on top of the silver relay (you can see the ball valves I put in the pic!). Any ideas?

http://www.thestarkeys.org/vette/orange.jpg

4) At the rear of the intake manifold, there is a stem that comes off with two connectors. The bottom one is used but the top one is just sealed off. I circled it in the pic as well. Any ideas?

http://www.thestarkeys.org/vette/mani-stem.jpg

Thanks!!!!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

Picture # 1 is the vacuum line to the original heater control valve that you eliminated with the ball valves.

# 2, mystery wire is just that, a mystery. A P.O. Probably hooked up a 12v. lead for something like an electric choke or fuel pump. Is the wire switched or is it hot all the time? It could have also been part of an aftermarket alarm system.

# 3 vacuum tee, fuggedaboudit, it ain't no thing. Just a capped off vacuum port. If you ever need to put a vacuum gauge on the engine this is a great "test" port.

My 2 cents worth, I hope that helps!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Banned

I almost forgot the vapor canister. They were used to collect gas vapor, condense it and send it back to the gas tank. If I remember right, one line goes to the carb, one to the tank and one just sucks air.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Default Heater Control Valve

Wow! Thanks for the info. I was expecting to spend my day re-connecting these lines. Now, I've got nothing to do today -- except drive!!!

Heater Control Valve: I put the ball valves to temporarily turn off the hot water to the core, but after the summer, I'll let the water flow again. Doesn't this vac line get T'd off to another line somewhere? I'd like to have it correctly connected. And, I have a hissing sound in the dash down near the temp controls and am hoping that it's because this line isn't connected. I get the hiss when I'm in any setting other than heater.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the hissing sound is the vacuum port on the HVAC control that would normally port vacuum to the heater water valve. Need to plug that port.

The canister collects gas vapor from the tank and maybe the carb (don't remember on carb). So the big line I believe goes to the tank, one of the small lines is the vacuum signal line to open the valve in top of the cannister and allow the third line which is connected to the carb or intake, maybe to a tee at the PCV and pulls the vapor out of the charcoal cannister. If the lid is not attached, then it should be reattached w/ epoxy or RTV. If not using it, then all lines should be plugged and a vented gas cap should be used.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM

On mine, one line goes to the gas tank, one goes to the manifold and the third (wide diameter hose) goes nowhere and it's not plugged. Where should it go?

Any idea where the hose coming from the firewall gets T'd off to?
http://www.thestarkeys.org/vette/vac-line.jpg

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Just checked mine. One big line goes down to a steel line that goes to the tank. The small line goes to the carb. Since my engine is on a stand right now, not sure where but the AIM probably shows or maybe the emissions decal. The other big line tees into the PCV line.

Not sure about the firewall line.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks Shark. Looks like I have 2/3 correct. I have 1 line to the carb and the other to the tank. Are you able to take a pic of the 3rd line going to the PCV? If so, can you snap one for me so I can see? Also, when you get your car back, can you snap a pic of that firewall line too? I'm having a heck of a time fiding out where that one goes. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have to see if I can find the rest of the PCV line. Will check for the firewall line. Should be easy w/ the engine out.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks!!! And why is the engine out???

Quick Reply: 73 - Where do these 'things' go?