Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

79 headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Default 79 headlight issues

the headlights on my 79 dont turn on. they go up and down and all other lights work normally. im getting power into and out of the headlight switch but known to the headlight connector. any help would be appreciated. the wipers dont work either, i dont know if this is related but id figure id mention it. all fuses have been checked and are good. thanks again.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Default RE: 79 headlight issues

so i guess no one has had this problem before?

Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Check out your relay switches. My wipers quit working and the prob turned out to be the relay.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks starship. i just bought the car and im trying to go through all the electrical. i have few cut wires and bridged wires that i need to figure out. the ac was removed so i figure most are from that. id imagine the relays are up under the dash on the drivers side. im not to familiar with these cars yet, but i guess thats part of the fun. i do know pleanty on toyotas so if u have a problem with one let me know.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
pg

Hi Phill, welcome to the website. As your finding out electrical problems are the hardest to find. You just answered my first question, this the way you got the car, if it had worked before and than you had this problem I would say un-do whatever you did and start fresh. The lights go up & down because they run off vacuum, so thats ok. You say you have power into and out of the switch, good. If you did that test with a test light you found a good ground, In the book it appears that there is a ground out by the headlights, try pulling a headlight out and see if you get power out there, if so, try to trace the wires and see if the last guy didn't disconect the headlight ground wire. Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM

hi pg. i bought the car like that aware of the problem. im not getting power to the headlights. but they will work if i run a wire from the switch to the headlights. i traced the power wire out of the switch to what looks like i switch mounted to the side of the column witch leads up into the steering wheel. im getting the factory manual soon im sure this will help out alot. the car also has a draw witch is killing the battery in about a day. that will be my next issue to look into. thanks for the help and ill post up an update if and when i figure it out.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know why people feel they have to butcher the electrics on there cars.[:@] I found extention cord wiring on my Vette. I pulled out all that crap and started over with a wiring diagram. It is taking some time, but at least I'll do it right.
Had a lot of issues with the "Starship" when I first got her, but she's comming along just fine. Time, patience, and $$$. Every time I get discouraged, I fire 'er up and go for a spin. That brings back to mind "WHY" I keep at it. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 PM

so true starship. i bought a 87 supra a few years back i most of taken out about 50 ft of wire(amps, phone, alarms and who knows what). luckly pretty much everything else works and the body is in great shape.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:21 AM

turned out to be the dimmer switch. not alot of fun to replace but the lights are working. thanks for the help guys.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
pg

Hi Phill, Good for you for getting that mess untangled, what about the wipers are they giving you a problem?

Quick Reply: 79 headlight issues