Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

"80" matching numbers 42k documented miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 11:44 AM
Default "80" matching numbers 42k documented miles

I would like to keep this car original but the power is severely lacking. I would like to get some guidance on what to do to get the power up to around 350hp. Can I do this with the original engine? If so is it just a matter of a top end kit, headers and duel exhaust or is there more? Should I go ahead and do what has been recommended by EVERY shop I have talked to and swap the engine for a 383 / crate 350?
Sarcastic replies are inevitable, thoughtful replies are welcomed and appreciated.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:53 PM

Welcome to the forms. I'm assuming you are working with a 350 now, california cars had 305s. I have used crate 383s and they do run good. You have gotten good information from people, it depends on how much money you intend on spending, that is what makes my decisions. If you like you can pull the engine you have set it aside, build a crate engine and still have matching number pieces for the car. A good engine and exhaust would make a world of difference. I have taken a low miles 350 block and use a 400 crank with the pistons and end up with a 377ci standard 350 bore with good heads cam and manifold with carburetion or injection of some type. It's a lot of work for that but engine number is the same. I know Edelbrock makes the top end replacement like you were saying. Heads cam, lifters, rockers, manifold use your old carburetor if you wanted to, that would help alot and still look close to stock. Lots of options. And do you need to worry about local emissions? another factor.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77
Welcome to the forms. I'm assuming you are working with a 350 now, california cars had 305s. I have used crate 383s and they do run good. You have gotten good information from people, it depends on how much money you intend on spending, that is what makes my decisions. If you like you can pull the engine you have set it aside, build a crate engine and still have matching number pieces for the car. A good engine and exhaust would make a world of difference. I have taken a low miles 350 block and use a 400 crank with the pistons and end up with a 377ci standard 350 bore with good heads cam and manifold with carburetion or injection of some type. It's a lot of work for that but engine number is the same. I know Edelbrock makes the top end replacement like you were saying. Heads cam, lifters, rockers, manifold use your old carburetor if you wanted to, that would help alot and still look close to stock. Lots of options. And do you need to worry about local emissions? another factor.
Thanks for the reply. What you are saying is pretty much what I have been thinking. Mostly the top end choice. My problem seems to be getting a good dependable mechanic with fair prices and reasonably good communication. So far I have been through two mechanics that I have talked to and then they just stopped communicating after agreeing to a plan of action. I never thought this would be the hold up. If anyone has any suggestions for a mechanic in the Phoenix Glendale area I'm all ears.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried contacting a local Corvette club if there is one?

Old 12-11-2023, 07:07 AM

I can find three clubs in that area. Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts. Desert Corvette Association. and Scottsdale Exotic Club. I'm sure there are more around there. Not all mechanics like working on vintage Corvettes. I'm sure they know of mechanics that do that kind of work either for a profession or just a hobby. You could try other types of car clubs too, you have a basic 350 SB very easy to work on..

Old 12-15-2023, 11:33 AM

I can find three clubs in that area. Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts. Desert Corvette Association. and Scottsdale Exotic Club. I'm sure there are more around there. Not all mechanics like working on vintage Corvettes. I'm sure they know of mechanics that do that kind of work either for a profession or just a hobby. You could try other types of car clubs too, you have a basic 350 SB very easy to work on..
appreciate that Thomas77. I will look into those

Old 12-15-2023, 12:40 PM

There are mechanics out there working for dealerships or shops that would do projects like yours at their home shops for a reasonable charge. Years back I did a lot of side jobs like yours working as a Farmer, Mr. Goodwrench and a construction truck driver. They are out there.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

If you decide to get into the internals, suggest getting the book on How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy. I used it and found it to be very helpful.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:01 PM

There are mechanics out there working for dealerships or shops that would do projects like yours at their home shops for a reasonable charge. Years back I did a lot of side jobs like yours working as a Farmer, Mr. Goodwrench and a construction truck driver. They are out there.
Another great suggestion! appreciate that

Quick Reply: "80" matching numbers 42k documented miles