Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Default Brake Problem

Hi,
Soon after buying a 78 Vette, the Brake Light came on the Dash. So I ran over to the local Vette Shop and they shimmed and bled the systemseveral weeks ago. Well, today the lite came on again.

So, in talking to someone, he says the problem could be with the wheel bearings and maybe misalignment issues. So, if that's the case, will this problem continue even with new ss calipers, rotors and pads? He said the calipers don't float on these vettes, so any wheel misalignment will allow air into the system. Does that sound right?

Also, if I get new calipers, Eklers has a rebuilders Special for $340 and includes the pads.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Thx. [/align]

Old 11-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Problem

"He said the calipers don't float on these vettes, so any wheel misalignment will allow air into the system. Does that sound right?"

Never heard that one!
But, did ya know that your brakes and head lights, take the same fluid? [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Seriously, Check your brake fluid level. If it's low, check around all your lines and connections for any signs of leaks.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Do the brakes feel ok or are you actually getting air pumped into the system? Check the parking brake switch, it also is tied to the same idiot light. If the rotors need to be turned and are making the pistons pulsate in and out of caliper bores then I would think you could feel it in the pedal.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM

hey dar, never heard about the misalignment issue before, thats a first . have you checked your fluid level? You could have a bad seal on one of the calipers, check for fliud leaks and go from there. Have you thought about your emergency brake switch?I know I have a slow leaking caliper that I will be changing this winter, well ok, I will change all of them of course.I ended up with no f^%%*& brakes one day coming home fromMaine, and it was just low fluid from years of neglect from the previous owner, something I should have checked but overlooked. Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/5879/46C16C2571744BD09A26ECFD55C9EB77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Bates- No I didn't check the fluid level today but 3 weeks ago, the shop checked it and it was topped off. Also no leaks were found at the wheels. so they shimmed the pads, and yeah buckshot, they said air is getting pumped into the lines. the parking brake doesn't even catch...I mean it can be pulled up but doesn't seem to do anything...not that I tried. But if it is pulled up, then yes, the light comes on. I gotr some one coming over in a day or so and check this out. Yeah, I certainly don't want to buy somethin gI don't need, but when buying used, well there's a lack of history. So, if I do new calipers, I will also do new rotors and pads. Not sure about the emergency brake lever...what's with that? Any on line suppliers?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

What the guy was probably trying to explain is something called "Rotor Runout". It is what happens when your rotors wobble (loose bearings) or when your rotors are worn unevenly. The rotors can actually push back on the brake pads and in turn push the pistons back into the brake calipers. This forces air into the system and causes a mushy brake pedal. The rotors must be "True" (no high or low spots) and the bearings must be in good shape to prevent this from happening.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM

Yeah that's it DeeVeeEight.
Now the question with the bearings- should the vette shop check this bearing thing out first? Will oring calipers prevent this from happening again? Do all wheels (front, back) need to aligned for this not to happen?

Sounds like I'll need new calipers, rotors and pads but should the wheel alignments be checked?

Most of the time I feel like maybe I should do a hail mary and put this on ebay.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

If it's pushing air in to the system the fluid has to be coming out....right? Whether it's a leak in a line or fitting or pushing back into the reservoir, it has to be going somewhere or the brakes would be dragging.from extra pressure...would they not? Odd thing it is I think.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:08 PM

Well Blueshark, actually last time I did watch the shopsuction out some fluid from the mc.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: dar322

Yeah that's it DeeVeeEight.
Now the question with the bearings- should the vette shop check this bearing thing out first? Will oring calipers prevent this from happening again? Do all wheels (front, back) need to aligned for this not to happen?

Sounds like I'll need new calipers, rotors and pads but should the wheel alignments be checked?

Most of the time I feel like maybe I should do a hail mary and put this on ebay.
The wheel bearings should be checked, yes, but that is pretty easy for them to do. The rotors should be checked for runout (uneveness) and resurfaced or replaced if needed. Wheel alignment is a steering/handling issue and not directly related to the performance of your brakes.

I can relate to your "Hail Mary" feelings. My experience has been that every job on these C3's needs to be done two or more times before it gets done right. Don't give up though, the rewards are too great! And I want first dibs before you put it on Ebay!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Brake Problem