Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Brakes pedal is very low! help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Default Brakes pedal is very low! help

I bought a 1977 corvette last week! my concerns is with the brake pedal is very low. I dont see any fluid leakage on wheels. Where do I start, the booster hold pressure, the master cylinder? everything is original equipment.The disc brakes pads are realtively new, and I dont see any broken hoses or leaks.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Default RE: Brakes pedal is very low! help

By very low, I presume that you mean "soft", going too far to the floor without "sticking" the brakes? If so, you might have a bit of air in the hydraulic lines. Bleeding out the air is pretty simple. One guy pumps the brakes, the other guy backs out the bleed valve a bit and holds a container to catch the fluid until the air bubbles are out (once each wheel).

There are some good kits for one-man bleeding, including some fancy bleed valves and catch containers.

bill.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
pg

Hi abo1958 and welcome to the forum. It took me a long time to get used to the short pedal travel on the Vette compared to the brakes on my import. I did find out that they will lock up just fine when an oncoming driver made a left in front of me. PG

Old 09-01-2008, 11:26 PM

A low pedal could be air, but it would be spongy too. I had master cylinders starting to gowhich madethe pedal low. Seals let the fluid leak by. Yes, as other reply stated, bleed first, and then go from there.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks to ALL. I meant very soft, and all the way to the floor!!! the car does stops but.... I will start by bleeding the system, if problem still there... I'llrebuild/buy the master cylinder, unless someone suggest differently. I'm very inexperience with this type of car but I like the look and feel.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM

If you are not sure take it to someone that does brakes.
You screw up and you not only hurt yourself but could mess someone else up as well.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM

thanks for the advice, I would not want to hurt me or anyone else. I'm trying to get as much knowledge as posible then I'll take itto the brake shop so I do not get tricked into a massive and expensivebrake job.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM

There are a lot of things you can do yourself to improve or repair your Vet.
Asking questions and reading are the best way to go.
Brakes and steering can get you into a lot of trouble.
If I were you I would get a written estimate for the repair on brakes from a couple of places before I got the work done. This way you can compare to see if you are getting ripped off.
Also, find some guys in your town who own Vets and ask them where they go.
Good luck,
Schoon

Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
pg

The brakes on our Vette's can be repaied with some basic hand tools and with the help from other corvette forums members.
A good book to start with is the Haynes Repair Manual, you can get it at any auto parts store.
Other books you'll want to have are
Corvette Shop Manual
Service Manual and
Corvette Assembly Manual, put these on you Christmas wish list.
The net is loaded with free information, scroll down to part 12 & 13 on this link http://www.idavette.net/hib/vette_bbfh.htm this should get you started, PG.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM

The master cylinder is very easy to change. Just be sure you bench bleed it completly before you put it back on or you will be bleeding the system forever!

Quick Reply: Brakes pedal is very low! help