Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Brakes pedal is very low! help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Default RE: Brakes pedal is very low! help

PG that is good link! Thanks.
Well! I gave in and took the car to BrakeCheck, one caliper was leaking and the rear parking brake hardware was rusted out in both drum(so I had no parking brake) I was stiffed for $245 for one new front caliper, brake pads, flush, and adjust parking brake some...They claimed it wastoo much at risk to contniue working on it, beacuse of the rust...I drove ithome today, the parking brake does not engage,but brake felt more solid.I went on mamotorworksand ordered the parking brake kit, and new hoses. I will get busy reading and findinganother mechanic....

Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hope you ordered the stainless steel parking brake kit. Might also consider replacing the cable that runs between the trailing arms as it usually gets rusty inside and hangs up which wears out the parking brake shoes.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Well I got the regular kit, but I willcoat partswith grease to prevent moisture/rust. I did get the cables and shoes too.It should last for a while...Thanks.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Better to paint the metal parts than to grease them as the grease could/will eventually find its way to the friction surface of the shoes. []

Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 AM

A good paint to use is POR-15 POR-15.com
I have used it on my vet with very good results.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Very good stuff but wear gloves as I haven't found anything that w/ get it off your skin except time.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: SCHOON

If you are not sure take it to someone that does brakes.
You screw up and you not only hurt yourself but could mess someone else up as well.
Schoon, I can appreciate your point of view and I personally feel that you're being very responsable sharing your point here, but ifeveryone takesthis view to heart, we'll all be going to shops with our problems instead of turning wrenches ourselves. Then we'd only have a forum where we told of the horror stories about getting ripped-off by 'Vette mechanics. LOL But really, I think that if one uses their head along w/ having some kind of mechanical ability, and refers to the Know-how guys here on the forum, that person will be safe and inturn keep others safe on the road also. I agree that areas like brakes should be taken very seriously and double-checked prior to moving the car. The system we have really is quite basic. The "basic"systems in our older 'Vettesare IMO the beauty of them.
And your safety concern is not taken lightly. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM

I agree that it is better to do the work yourself but there are a lot of people with old cars thatarenot mechanically inclined are are much better off for everyone's safety it they get things like brakes done by someone who knows what they are doing.
I watched someone do a brake job before I went and did it myself and so on.
I am not saying AOB1958 is not capable of doing the brakes himself but it sounded to me like he might need to see it done the first time so he would get a better handle on it for the next time.
Schoon
PS
I need some help posting pictures.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks again for the info, where can I get this paint Por-15?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Never mind por-15.com.

Quick Reply: Brakes pedal is very low! help