Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

A/C Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Default A/C Retrofit

Anyone retrofit an aftermarket A/C system to a non-facotry A/C car, and have it run off the stock controller and through the stock vents. This would be for a '69 big block.

Thanks,
Marty

Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: A/C Retrofit

Hot Rod Air can help. http://www.hotrodair.com

When I bought mine, they offered to refit a stock control unit for me for under $100. I installed their kit in my 81, and had to cut the center console plate a bit to fit the early C3 size control head. This is the setup that Boyd Coddington uses on his hotrod builds.

bill.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: A/C Retrofit

I just finished installing the Hot Rod Air kit in my 69 350/350 convertible. I originally purchased the kit through Corvette Central. It came with a control unit that mounted under the steering column. I mocked it in and realized that it would not work in a 4 speed car. Too big of a chance that your toe is going to catch it and break it. I called Hod Rod Air to buy the console control unit that Bill installed. Scott at HRA told me about the control conversion for the stock controller. The only thing that I had to do was remove the controls that came in the kit and send them to him. Within 10 days, I had the conversion kit. It was a snap to install. Since I had the car all apart anyway, I purchased an A/C lens for the controller, disassembled the controller, cleaned everything, repainted the bottom side of the pointers, installed the new lens and connected the new controls. It was probalby the easiest job of this whole project. The rest of the kit is pretty straight forward also. The only real work that you will have is cutting through the fender well to run the hoses to the drier and the condenser. Early C-3's don't have the tunnel molded in the fender well for the hoses to pass around the radiator support. If you choose HRA, you won't be sorry.