Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Carpet kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Default Carpet kits?

Getting ready to re-do carpet! Any reccomendations on kits and helpful hints on installation? Thanx......Dave

Old 12-31-2006, 03:12 AM
Default RE: Carpet kits?

If you get any tips...I'm looking too. Would really like to find good pictures of an interior from a 76 Vette. I don't have the old carpet to use as a guide, to install the new carpet kit that I have.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 PM

Good morning guys.Go to Mid America Motor works web home page ( www.madvet.com )and click on the C3 section.Then click onto the carpet kits.When that comes onto the screan click on the tec section for your year and it tells you how to install the carpet . Let me know how it works out , cause my carpet set should be arriving here by truck this week. Hope this helps you.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Carpet install is a pretty straight forward process. There are a few tips to remember. 1) You will need carpet adhesive to install the carpet behind the seats and on the wheel wells in the rear and on the rear of the storage compartment (vertical surfaces). You do not need it in the passenger compartment floor. 2) Install the seat belt boltsand seat bolts before you install the carpet. Then when you have the carpet positioned properlyuse a box cutter orsheet rock knife to cut an X across the bolt heads and they will pop through. This method eliminates poking around for the holes in the floor. 3). Remember not to trim too much around the edges. Try to leave enough on the sides to allow the sill plate screws to pass through the carpet.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the tips.They will make the job easier.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

I watch a pro redo a job my friend and I did on his midyear roadster. Even tho we use a molded carpet set, we just couldn't get the rear to fit in all of those tight places. The pros used a heat gun to soften the backing and it made all of the difference in the world in the way they were then able to get it to fit. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget the padding. Some kits don't come with it.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

......and heat shielding!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Just put one in my 79. got itthrough ebay(WILCOX), but it was a ACC kit. pretty much a straight forward install. had to cut out the bolt holes,cut and glue a few pieces and add insulation. one section in the back side seemed a bit short but not to bad everythng else fit very well. the kit cost me $220 + shipping. i picked up some insulation w/heat shielding at pepboys for $20.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM

Just got a carpet set from MA Motorworks for my 78. The complete carpet sets come with the heat shield and sound deadening underlayment with the set. Havent had the chance to install it yet but it looks has pretty much everything you need to get the job done except the adhesive.

I did just install carpet into a 75 MG and i do recommend a heat gun. It makes getting the carpet into tight spots ten times easier. Also if you are doing the installation in a heated garage or during warm weather leave the carpet spread out for a day or so to get the wrinkles and fold lines out of it. Unfortunately i live in central IL and it is pretty cold so i have to rely on the heat gun to get the folds out.

I think the total for the carpet set ran me about 300 bucks. The only bad thing is that i found about 20 other projects I plan to do at the same time so my overall cost went up a thousand or so, hehe.

Quick Reply: Carpet kits?