Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Carpet and Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Default Carpet and Upholstery

Guys
I'm thinking about re-doing the interior, and have a carpet question- what's your opinion of just glueing carpet down with the jute backing? Is it neccessary to dosound barriers, heat barriers, insulation, padding? Current carpet is the original with insulation under it. If I go with a padding, does it get glued down? And then does the carpet just lay on top of it? No glue required? What's really needed without killing my budget? Keep in mind cost is #1 cause this 78 is no show queen. Thxin advance for all your help.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Default RE: Carpet and Upholstery

Personally, I usually go with dynamat stuff from the door sill to the shifter console, and forward up under the pedals, as high on the firewall as possible. There is a good bit of heat up there around your feet without it. A decent upholstery contact cement spray (3M makes some nice spray adhesives) to get the dynamat on the floor, and then again to get the carpet on to the dynamat. Again, just my humble opinion for non-show quality fun driving.

bill.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM

So, heat and sound deadeners for the front. Any recommendations for the rear? What's under the rear carpet in my car looks to be the original insulation.If I do insulation in the back...does it need glueing too? If I go this route, does the carpet just lay on top of the insulation or does glueing that too make sense? Actually a carpet with the jute backing seems easiest, but I'm concerned about noise possibly. Thx.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Default nm

sorry duplicate message deleted

Old 11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen several thermal insulations in addition to the acoustic variety. I'm more interested in thermal than acoustic with the side pipes.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM

The nice thing about that 3M spray stuff is that it will peel up and re-stick a couple times without applying more. I use it front, back, headliners (the cloth ones), trunk, underside of the hood (the thermal kind)... makes the passenger compartment feel more "sealed".

bill.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Dynamite seems expensive. Reflective customer support told me they don't recommend their product for autos due to it not holding up well (under the driver's feet). So, if I get the basic carpet with jute backing, I'm thinking dynamat in the fronts and maybe the reflectix in the back to save a buck. Remember, this car ain't no show queen. Do both these products need glueing? And then glue the carpet on top of these?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM

idid my interior last year and glues all the carpet trim pieces with 3M adhesive but had every one come up on me. i ended up using trimcontact cement, worked well. dont know what happened with the 3M maybe i didnt follow the direction correctly. i used a jute padding with a foil backing pretty much put that everywhere i could.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Phill,
What foil did you use? Dynamat or something else? And you didn't do a pad?
Sounds about right for me too. So, the 3m glue didn't work?
Thx

Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 PM

i picked it up at the local autoparts(pepeboys). its jute padding, same stuff that all cars have under the carpet, with foil glued to one side. pretty cheap to $20 for a 4'x6' roll. two did the car front to back anditworked very good. the 3M didnt work for me on that day, i say this because ive used 3M spray before with great success but just not on that day.

Quick Reply: Carpet and Upholstery