Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Clutchs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Default Clutchs

I have seen a lot of talk about engines and exhaust and other things but i was wondering what the best type of clutches are. The only reason i an asking is because i can hear the throwout bearing starting to go and i figure if i am going to change that i might as well put in a full clutch set.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Clutchs

....and don't forget the pilot bearing. Most clutch kits come with one, but if you happen to buy each componant separately, you should pick one up.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm putting the OEM Borg-Warner clutch back in mine and a needle roller pilot bearing that GM uses in their SB trucks.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
pg

Hi 1974corvetteowner, changing the full clutch set sounds like a smart way to go, why change just the bearing and 1000 miles later have to take everything apart again.
I agree with 73shark, GM spent big money on research and if they went with BW than that's my choice too. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: 73shark

I'm putting the OEM Borg-Warner clutch back in mine and a needle roller pilot bearing that GM uses in their SB trucks.
I have read alot about using the roller bearings with the older muncie and BW transmissions that there is to much play in the shaft and they eat the roller bearings up quick!! they were designed for the newer transmissions that are much more true!! just a heads up!!

I WENT WITH THE CENTER FORCE 11" dual friction clutch and pressure plate,toband new pilot bushing and am very pleased with it.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 AM

I was going to recommend the CenterForce II...it is an excellent clutch setup and pairs well well a torquey TH-350...

Have fun swapping clutches!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Is it not better to inspect the clutch prior toblowing the money ona new one? What if the throw-out bearing is the only component w/ a malfunction? Just something to consider. I also read a post on brakes lately w/ a reply that; one should go out and buy a new caliper prior to seeing if the old one will take a kit, which costs 1/6th. the price.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Texas Jim

Is it not better to inspect the clutch prior toblowing the money ona new one? What if the throw-out bearing is the only component w/ a malfunction? Just something to consider. I also read a post on brakes lately w/ a reply that; one should go out and buy a new caliper prior to seeing if the old one will take a kit, which costs 1/6th. the price.

I completely understand with you are saying Texas Jim and that is what i plan to do but i was just wondering what everyone thought about clutch brands so that in the case that i do need more than the throw out bearing i already have the information

Old 04-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blknblu68

ORIGINAL: 73shark

I have read alot about using the roller bearings with the older muncie and BW transmissions that there is to much play in the shaft and they eat the roller bearings up quick!! they were designed for the newer transmissions that are much more true!! just a heads up!!
Were they talking end play or out-of-round play?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM

[/quote]

Were they talking end play or out-of-round play?
[/quote]

end play in the shaft itself i even had a roller one purchased then read all the horror stories about them comming apart after 3-400 miles so i went with the oil impregnated brass instead. thetremmec and other newer style transmissions i guess have much less end play and dont get as sloppy as the older style ones, i dont think you could even see the slop without a new one and a old one side by side for comparison..