Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Ecklers Targa Muffler Setup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Default Ecklers Targa Muffler Setup.

I wanted to show you all this in the attached photos. I ordered these things a few weeks back and had them installed by a local muffler shop. labor was fair after checking around. Now for what its worth, they sound great and look good from the back but not even from the side.

I called Ecklers on this and even sent them a photo and they said this was all installed right. Well I think it looks like ^%$#! So I am going to have this same shop design some form of an adapter for the pipe to go up inside like the stock set and just have the chrome pipes visible.

Just wanted to let you all know this ahead of time if your ever interested in this set.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Default RE: Ecklers Targa Muffler Setup.

I have been considering those same mufflers for my vette. I see by the pictures what your don’t like, they hang down below the body line. It looks like if turned them up side down and re-weld the bracket the other side plus a few the moods they be tuck up out of sight. On the other hand how do they sound, I am looking for more of an exotic sound kind of European sports car like.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 PM

Yeh it's definitely changeable but aggravating. Thing is, if you turn them upside down, the angle at the end is now diffirent. I think we're better off with some form of adapter connector underneath to tuck it up, then the chrome would come out more level but still look good.

As far as sound, not the european stuff. Real nice deeper tad louder hotrod tone. I like it.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

cyclic hardover.??........Chopper pilot??

Old 08-04-2007, 12:30 PM

Yeh, was, 20year guy. retired in 95. Now I just fly Radio Control.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have my cert. but I had a little Scorpion II for awhile. Fun little eggbeater. Sold it for the down payment on a Roterway Exec. but had to spend the dust on bills. what a bummer. do you still fly? My brother got me started. He flew the old Cobras. I bet that was a blast. Cheers.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yea....Thanks for your service to this great country. Cheers

Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM
pg

Hi CH, your right, that looks like something that Bubba did, try to get to somebody in Ecklers tech dept, you should get a full refund. PG

Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 PM

I had thought of that but then would have to pay to re install the old ones. There is a way out of this which is to have them install and adapter which will tuck it up in their and the chrome ends will come out more level than at an angle. So anybody considering these, they do sound great but definitely in need of an improvement here

Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Good exhaust work is an art. I have yet to see a bolt on kit that didn't need one or two little custom bend sections added in to make it tuck up nice and route correctly. When I added the long tube headers a couple months back, I ended up spending about $40 at the local shop to weld in a little 10 degree bend piece to the existing pipes so that the collector flange would mate up cleanly with the pipe flange side. About 6" of new pipe on both sides, not a bad deal.

After Carlisle, I'm going back in for a complete new exhaust from these guys, totally hand made. 2.5" reducer from the flange, 2.5" back to the long merge x-pipe, 2.5" to the high flow cats, 2.5" to the Flowmaster 40's tucked up in high and tight, and then dual 2.5" rolled chrome oval tips at a slight down angle. Total pricetag is just over $500 with all the parts and labor. I love this shop... The guy welds like a real master (can you say row of nickels?), and does exhaust work with a heliarc... He said that he never grinds joints, because grinding is for folks who want to hide the quality of their work.

bill.

Quick Reply: Ecklers Targa Muffler Setup.