Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Exhaust headers for '77 corvette 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Default Exhaust headers for '77 corvette 350

I'm restoring a '77 corvette L82 and was wondering if anyone has some advice on which headers I should choose. I would like a header that fits easily (LOL) and matches up to the exhaust path on the frame. Anyone have any experience with putting headers in their 77? Thanks.

kruser

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Default RE: Exhaust headers for '77 corvette 350

Haven't installed any on a 77, but put them on my 72. Went with Hooker competition ceramic coated headers. Very pleased with them. Still look like the day I installed them and they have been on for two summers worth of driving now.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM

I have a 74and getting ready to install Patriot shielded sidepipes along with Patriot Coated Tight Tuck Headers.
I saw this setup on a 76 and really liked it, sounded real good.
The whole setup cost about $500 from Jegs.
I will be pulling off a set of Hooker Competion headers, not coated pretty good shape.
The reason I am making this change is the idiot(previous owner) had these big old headers reducing down into 2" stock exhaust. Plenty of backpressure I might add.
I will be giving away the stock system (good shape) if someone is interested and lives near by

Schoon

Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
pg

Sounds like a interesting project, if you can, post some pictures so we can follow along. PG.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Would recommend getting whatever you decide on coated w/ Jet-Hot. Really cuts down on the under hood temps.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM

I have a 75 Corvette Convertible stick shift and I would like to put install side pipes.

My question is: Will I have to replace my headers or can I attach the side pipes to my existing headers and if so how it that done?

Thank you

Tom

Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Default Side pipes to Headers

I have a 75 Corvette and I would like to install side pipes.

My question is:

Do I have to replace my headers or can I attach my side pipes to my existing headers and if so just how is that done?

Thank you

Tom

Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 PM

When you say "headers" do you mean tubular aftermarket headers or the stock ram horn manifolds? What style sidepipe do you have in mind?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Default Not Sure

Thank you for your reply.

To tell you the truth I don't know much about them. I think that it would be stock headers and as for the side pipes they look like the ones which have four pipes converging into the one long pipe that runs along the side of the car.

Tom

Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 AM

Ok, if you have the stock cast iron ram horn manifolds it will be much easier and less costly. Easiest way to determine this is the color will probably be dark gray if not rust colored. There will also be a single exhaust pipe coming out of the bottom center. Headers have a tube for each cylinder joining together next to the transmission.

If you want to maintain the stock manifolds and only add the sidepipes there is a company called Patriot that makes a Hooker sidepipe look a like, 4 pipes into a 4" chrome side pipe. 3 of the pipes are dummies with only 1 functional pipe that you would have hooked up to your stock manifold outlet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H1165/

If you have 4 into 1 real tubular headers you can use these same side pipes but the header is farther back under the car than the inlet of the sidepipe so an "S" shaped pipe would have to be made at an exhaust shop and will create some back pressure due to the changes in the exhaust direction but on a stock engine it probably won't make a huge difference.

Here is a link to a video on youtube of a guy with a C3 that has headers and you can see what the exhaust shop had to do to hook up the sidepipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69HV..._order&list=UL

Quick Reply: Exhaust headers for '77 corvette 350