Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Default exhaust questions

I have a few questions about exhausts for my 76' vette. I have headers and side pipes on there now. First thing does anyone know what kind of plates i need to get to have this thing on the road? I live in PA so can I get classics even though 76 didnt have side pipes from the factory. Second thing is if I need to change my exhaust can I go with hedman hedders and then keep the stock y pipes from the hedders back? I plan to get a crate small block HO from pace performance. so can I use the stock exhaust with that motor? Can someone help me???

Old 03-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Default RE: exhaust questions

As long as you meet the age and use restrictions, you can go with antique plates on it. Most states are 25-30 years, so you are fine with age. The use restrictions vary, but most states limit the use of an antique or collector tagged car to limited mileage, trips to and from the shop, joy rides, and car shows/owner club meets. The side pipes have no bearing on what tags you put on it, just the registered year of the car.

Once you hit antique or collector, you are exempt from emissions, so your exhaust is more than likely legal, even with "normal" tags on the car. As long as your side pipes have the muffler baffles built in, you should be fine with the noise rules as well. Hedman makes shorty headers for Vettes that fit right into the stock collectors. Worst case, if you go with something a bit more "free flowing" like standard short small block headers, you would have to get a custom collector and short pipe to the Y made. Not a big deal, a couple hundred bucks at most. Call Hedman or Hooker and see what they have, and what they recommend if you go that route.

bill.