Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Default Exhaust System

My factory mufflers are rotting off. I believe it is time for a high flow system, any recommendations?

Thanks,

John

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Default RE: Exhaust System

I just put on Magnaflows and am very happy with the sound and fit.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Not sure what type mine are, I will check tomorrow. I have headers, to the mufflers , no Cats and2 pipes coming out of eachmufflers. Love the sound.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 AM

I installed Hooker ceramic coated headers, stainless steel exhaust pipes, and stainless steel turbo mufflers from Jegs. GREAT SOUND!! All hangers are also stainless steel. The only way to go for me.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 AM

Did you buy a bolt-in set or did you need to cut and weld up to the headers.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 AM

I posted an "indepth" reply awhile back, but page was expired...
I bought "flowmaster 50s" and had a muffler shop in Shreveport, Louisiana install a new system from the end of the head pipes back. I had my seats redone, back to original, as the driver side was coming apart at the seams, at a shop that did all the custom interior work for all the locals who had rides in magazines, Car Craft, Hot Rod, Rod and Custom, etc., (pics on the walls of the office) This place referred me to Charlie. The exhaust shop is a one man operation and the guy does all the pipe welding w/ a torch (makes for a nice even-flowing bead) and has owned afew 'Vettes of his own. The driver side pipe cuts over to the passenger side to go through the frame modification for the exhaust. (I was told that the older 'Vettes came with the mod. on both sides asthose models came w/ duals from the factory) This guy made perfect and exact bends on the pipes that go from the straight length to the muffler, and this is crucial in getting the system to hang correctly at the end and for both pipes and mufflersto come out at the same height and length in the back. I firstly brought one of the original pipes to Midas to get another bent the same way and the guy couldn't come even close. I just took my original and left. Anyway...If you can't find someone who's really good w/ exhaust systems, it's better to buy a system from a reputable aftermarket company. With the spare tire case off the car,my exhaust system looks GREAT from the rear. The pipes curve around perfectly and evenly and the chrome tips that are welded onto the short muffler pipe both come out at the same exact height and length, and both rear hangers loop through the clamp and hang perfectly verticle.
After all is said and done, and after watching that muffler guy install my exhaust system, if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd purchase an aftermarket system, as to find a guy who'd do the job that Charlie(Charlie's Custom Exhaust Systems) did, may turn out to be a near impossible hunt.
We also discussed mufflers on here about two months back, and the Flowmaster 50s may not be the best choice due to "resonation." Some of the small vibrations I get from these 50s could possibly be eliminated w/ the 40 series. Even though the vibes are slight, they're still there. It may have been "BLKand BLU" or someone else who had two or three muscle cars, who said that the 50s may not be the best choice. I think it is best to take the advice from someone who's been through afew different mufflers, as I've only had this one series on my 'Vette w/ the exception of the originals.
Good Luck.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

'74s and earlier had two holes thru the crossmember for each pipe.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks guys, I'll start doing my homework.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know what you decide on. Pics are always welcome.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 AM

I will say that it's a "shame" that you can't find an exhaust shop that can do a good job on a "Vette system. Not saying that they're ALL trash, but you're taking a risk when you go trusting your "Vette to a guy who may or may not do a good job. They ALL claim to be GOOD at what they do. The quality in "trades" overall has fallen off SO bad over the years. The book "Atlas Shrugged" makes more sence than ever now days.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System