Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

gas smell at exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
pg
Default RE: gas smell at exhausts

Hi Aldo, if your steering wheel is not centered at 12 o'clock when you are going straight down the road then the "Centering" is out of wack.
To adjust the centering loosten each tie rod end and turn it one revolution the same way on both sides. Then see if you get an improvement, if not turn the tie rods the other way eaqually.
this will "Center" the steering Wheel.
If you turn the tie rods in oppiset directions that changes the tow.
The Centering gets changed because the new Control valve is in a differeft positoin than the original. PG.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 AM

the problem was the alignement...

made the toe in at the shop and now the car rides great! I think anyway that the steering gear box should be remanufactured for really perfect steering.too much money...

now I have to replace the rear monospring ( waiting for a composite one to arrive) and I have to replace the bushings at trailing arms and at rear camber rods. Then make the final alignement both at front and rear. I hope to be able to do everything in about a month

Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

The new control valve may need to be balanced if your mech didn't do it. Procedure is on page 9-65 to 9-66 in the Service Manual. If you don't have access, let me know and I'll try to scan it in and e-mail it to you.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4
Aldous, check this link out very informative

Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
pg

Great link there batesy80, I'm sure that will help a lot of forum members, PG.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, especially since I'm going put new seals in mine.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:53 AM

Batesy80,
thanks for the link.
I solved my steering problem finding the answer in that link.

I had my steering wheel out of center because I centered the steering wheel by turning from one side to the other and then diving by 2. But was not correct.

in the link I found that the steering gear box center is marked by a flat surface between the rag joint and the the gear box input. I readjusted the steering wheel placing that flat surface in the right manner, then I made the front wheels realignement. Now everything is OK.
I'll possibly work a bit on the 2 gearbox adjustments ( screw and big nut) if necessary.
thanks again

Old 05-03-2008, 07:48 AM

your welcome. I saved that link from this forum from last year, cause I knew I was going to use it for my own car. Nothing but good info from the contributors on this forum, hats off to all. Drive it like you stole it, but don't break it.hahaha

Old 05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you decide to adjust the steering gear, be sure to do so with the steering centered in order for the sector gear to be on its high point.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 AM

73shark
to find the gear box high point , I followed the picture attached below.
I feel that the steering wheel has a good feeling now, but it's still not perfect.
when i go straight, OK , when I turn right , OK too-very smooth and precise. But when I turn left the steering wheel needs a bit more effort and the steering is less precise and smooth and it's "faster " than when I turn right.I mean bends at 40-50mph

after replacing the PS control valve, the steering has becomeharder than before

I have still to adjust the front camber, now is pretty bad. But to do so, I'm waiting for the new monospring to arrive , balance the car left-right ( now the car is still low at driver's side in respect to passenger's)

[IMG]local://upfiles/6949/965A3850F1454B6BB65919334147525E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: gas smell at exhausts