Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

help!! i have a clunk from the rear end need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Default help!! i have a clunk from the rear end need help

I have aquired a 1976 vette was my grandmothers when she bought it new so i am the second owner very well taken care of car but i have a huge issue. I have replaced all the brakes, lines, calipars, and pads i have checked and been through th rear end twice but when i turn a corner at low speeds i get a clunk sound from the rear end has anybody had this problem before if you have please help thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: help!! i have a clunk from the rear end need help

I had this problem on my jeep cherokee in the front end. thy're all disc brakes so it may be applicable. Google the term "knock back" and it could give you a rational explanation for the brake pads being pusshed back into the caliper when your momentum changes in a turn, and the clunk you hear is your pads re-seatting themselves. However, the problem I had on my old calipers was that the caliper piston was not pushing evenly on all sides so that when I applied brake at low speeds only one side of the pad would come in contact with the rotor, thus making it wobble (clunk loudly) and wear the pad unevenly.

That little problem had me guessing of upwards of around 13,000 miles, from Alaska to Florida before I finally just broke down and replaced calipers, rotors, and pads- not a bad job to do anyways, it's easy, fairly inexpensive (around $200.00 for my jeeps front end)and new brakes are always a good thing

Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 PM

thanks i will look at it tonight that sounds like it the parts are new but the car sat for a few years so maybe th calipars are bad its a clunk and a wobble just like you said thanks alot

Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Better have someone who knows what their doing take a look at your rear suspension.
My quess is one of the yokes are worn out etc.
You don't want to be going 50mph and have the rear of your Vet come off.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM

well we replaced the rear pumpkin and pulled the half shaft's when i put in a munual pumpkin for the gear ration as far as i remember the yoakes looke ok but is there something that i should be looking for i am a mechanic but i have never worked corvette's but any help you can give me would greatly appreciated

Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

On my dad's 75 there has been a clunking coming from the rearend ever since hehit a curb in the 70 's. It wasn't anything to serious until the rear end locked up. i would definitly get it checked out before it is too late. Something inside came loose and got jammed everything up. The bill came to over 2000 to get it fixed including a new housing cover. My dad isnt the most mechanically inclined person so he didnt realise what the problem was before it was too late. After we had the rear end replaced the clunking went away. Hope this helps

Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 PM
pg

Hi spanky01 and welcome to the forum. I"m not sure what you mean by a munual pumpkin, but if it's a stock posi I would go to the 10 minute lube and have them suck out all the old oil, then add 2 tubes of limited slip oil additive and top it up to the bottom of the hole with 80 or 90 wt oil. Then go to a parking lot an make some slow figure 8 turns both foward and backwards and see if that helps to lubricate the clutck packs and disc's. PG

Old 07-19-2007, 09:07 PM

ok like cool yea its weird but the car has sat for some years and it has little sounds every where but this one is i will take all the advise i have been given and put all of to work this weekend thanks alot and keep up the great responces to every body

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 AM

does the sound stop when you apply brakes?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 AM

well to be honesty with you thats really when it does it . it seems to do it the worst when you apply the brake and turn like out of a partking space.. we pulled the rear wheels last night and the hood and all the stuff to get the radiator out and when i pulled the calipars the one of the pistons was almost frozen so i think that the calipars on the rear need to be replaced . my dad replaced the bearings in the rear end only a few miles ago .. (like 5 yrs ago) it has been sittiing for a long time but we have a plan of attack new u joints on the half shatfs new calipars and new rotors we think might do the trick , the rear suspension has a new diff ( rebuilt) new springs and all new poly bushings so after inspection last night we are pretty sure its the calipars b/c its only happening on one side

Quick Reply: help!! i have a clunk from the rear end need help