Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Help me surprise my son

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Default Help me surprise my son

My son has a 77 corvette and I want to surprise him when he comes home in august. He has mention "needing" more horse power and chrome. His car has about 200 HP now. What is the best and most economical way to get another 100? I think his car is stock. The only thing that looks different is a triangle air cleaner. What would I need to buy and is it something I could do or do I need someone to do it? Cost?

Also is there a chrome dressup kit that I could buy? I have seen the individual pieces, but would like to buy something complete.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

A little more info would help. I assume it's the stock base 350 engine from what you said. Chrome or polished aluminum valve covers, chrome master cylinder cover, round, open element air cleaner w/ a chrome cover, replace alternator case w/ a chrome one, chrome crankcase vent tube are just a few items. Not sure if the '77 still had the chrome distributer and plug wire covers but if not, could add them.

Probably the cheapest way to get 100 hp is to add NOS. However I wouldn't necessarily say that's the best way. A cam, intake manifold, and some big valve heads would be a better, albeit a more expensive way. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Good luck and thank your son for his service.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the help and I will try to give you more info.

First, I want to clear up that my son is not serving in the military, but rather returning from school. I looked over my original post and I could see how someone could be lead into thinking that. I am sorry for not being clear. (Yes, the young men serving and protecting our country need to be thanked when ever we can!)

Regarding the engine: I saw all those pieces individually on Ecklers, but I wanted to know if there was a "package" that I could purchase as one unit. (I am sure it wouldn't have everything, but most of the more popular items.)

NOS is not an option. I was a Mustang man who is being coverted to Corvettes and I heard/saw nothing but bad things (and a few guys got in serious trouble with the law for running it on the street).

The cam, intake, and valve heads was what I was thinking (that's what I did on the Mustang). On my car I did the intake and valve head only, checked to see how it ran and made a decision to add the cam many months later. Could that be an option for the vette as well? (intake & heads)

If so, is there particular one(s) I should look at or avoid? What price(s) am I looking at for each item? The purpose of this "gift" is just to get him some more power (and fun!) while in the city and on the highway.

Thank you for helping!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Doc, another option you might consider would be a crate engine-jegs,Summit racing or GM performance parts can fix you up with about any power level your pocketbook can stand. As I recall there's a 290 horse 350 CI long block engine for a little over $2000. Maybe add a little more cam to that and pay somebody $1500 or so to put it in his car add the chrome parts you got from them at the same time and you've accomplished your goal! You could add parts to the existing engine and possibly create a problem if the basic engine won't handle the added pressure. You also take a chance on installing some parts that won't work well with each other and not reach your goal in addition to creating a machine that's a horror to drive. It is a VERY common situation where too hot a cam coupled with heads with too large valves cause an engine to have such a lack of low end torque to make it a real dog on the street! Anyone with a doctorate should not have to ask me how I know this! Also for about another $1000 more you can go with a 330 horse,380 ft-lb of torque HO 350 which would almost immediately result in a need for some major suspension mods as well as a special built transmission- but damn! it would be fun to drive 'til it broke something!
Not knowing the condition if the existing engine,I have to lean in the direction of some sort of a replacement.
I sorta wish I had your problem!
Good Luck!
Ron

Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Hmmmmmmmm.... good points to ponder.

I guess I need to figure out what I have on my hands.... I know it is an L-82 and it has side pipes, and the triangle filter (looks like a K&N type that is cleaned). How do I know type/name of the side pipes? How can I tell if something has already been changed with the intake, heads, cam, etc. (I really don't think Jr. will know... He just likes to drive it.....) Is there a way to answer these questions visually?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Not really. I got out my "Chevy V-8 Casting numbers 1955-93 and found that after about 73 most everything had most every casting number on it,you can't really nail anything down that way. The intake should be aluminum and have 1405 7053 on it. You can't do much with the cam unless you remove it. Not much help,sorry!
You could take the car to a good shop and have them go over the engine,compression check,oil pressure with a good gauge,vacuum gauge etc. and they might be willing to advise whether or not the engine could take a little pumping up.
Got in my 'vette book-if it's an L-82(210hp) the 5th digit of the serial number will be an "X",if it's an "L" it's the 180hp. If the head casting# is 333882 it could be either engine, if it's 374650 then it's the 180 hp.On the L-82 the distributor number should be 110 3256. Quadrajet number on a 210 Automatic 17057210,auto w/Ac 17057228,manual trans 17057211. There's 7 possibilities for carb on the 180 hp.
This comes out of the "Corvette Black Book". Hope this helps!
Some where there's a web site you can get on,put in the serial number and they can tell you what day the car was built.
Sometimes on top of the gas tank you can find the "build sheet" and learn everything about the car,colors,options etc.
Ron

Last edited by partsman41; 05-15-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Just a side note,.....
If you do go for a crate engine, hang onto the original engine. Should the time ever come that the car goes up for sale, the potential buyer will, more than likely, want the original for restoration sake.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

If you still want to do the existing engine, I've heard that Edelbrock has a head, intake, cam, and carb package.

Some pics of engine and side pipes would help.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM

I have pictures posted. Take a look at:

http://www.studio239.org/p627577159

I am wanting to know if anyone can tell me what headers and side pipes I have and any information about the intake/carb.

Based on previous comments and through my readings I think I want to go with a better intake and head combination. I am letting the cam go for now since I don't know for sure what I have and don't want to go through the time and cost to have someone find out.

Is this a good plan? Any other ideas?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Those are Hooker (or look-a-likes) nest of snakes headers/side exhaust. They have a removable muffler that slides in the side tube.

The carb appears to be the OEM Rochester Quadra-jet. Good carb if properly rebuilt and tuned. Since it is a "spreadbore carb", be sure to get a like manifold.

Quick Reply: Help me surprise my son