Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

How to stop wheel hop in a 68?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Default How to stop wheel hop in a 68?

well I need to know the best way to get rid of wheel hop?
after i replaced the engine,new clutch ,pressureplate,thow out bearing,pilot bushing,u-joints front and rear of drive shaft,trans and motor mounts,I now notice some horrific wheel hop if i try and pop the clutch at any more than 1000 rpm??
So what is the best way to stop it? I have read a new poly diff. nose bushing would do it but is it really that simple?
Thanx Tony

Old 10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Default RE: How to stop wheel hop in a 68?

There must be some kind of traction bars for a Vet.
I had a real bad case of wheel hops with my 69Z and by adding the traction bars that are designed to eliminate wheel hop, theydid they trick.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

My guess is to check your shocks. I think that if they are weak, they would allow your rear to "hop".
I seriously doubt that a new front diff bushing would do the trick. If you are getting a "clunk" upon acceleration, you could need the bushing replaced.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

My guess is to check your shocks. I think that if they are weak, they would allow your rear to "hop".
I seriously doubt that a new front diff bushing would do the trick. If you are getting a "clunk" upon acceleration, you could need the bushing replaced.
OK whats a real good vette shock that wont kill my wallet like koni or billstien??

Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 AM

Yes, traction bars eliminate wheel hop- stop the rearend from wrapping up. Sad to say that I don't know what type of bars the 'Vette uses, if there is such a thing for the 'Vette. It's always "ladder bars" for coil springs and the bar/tube w/ snubber for leaf springs. I know the 'Vettes you see at the drags usually have the solid axle housing and have done away with the independent. **(Heavy shocks would help-I see it was already mentioned.) I can't say that I've ever heard of wheel hop being a typical problem w/ the 'Vette. Surely some company makes a bar/stabilizer for the "Vette. A single center bar perhaps??? I'll keep my ears open. Someone here will find the answer. There are quite afew active and smart guys who watch this C-3 forum constantly.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have Blistens that came with my suspension kit. I really can't give you a good brand that won't give your wallet a hard hit. I'm just not that knowlegable on shocks.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM

C3, Is it all in the shocks on the 'Vette as far as preventing wheel hop? I'm experienced with the traditional set-ups, but the 'Vette w/ that cross-leaf is something I don't know about. I went to the "Lakewood" site and they make nothing in the way of traction bars for a 'Vette. The tech guy I spoke with at Jegs mentioned drag shocks. I do know that you can buy adjustable drag shocks that are streetable.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 AM

I have seen acouple home made single type traction bars. But i think i will start with a good set of descent shocks first.
i have a coil over type shock on my chevelle with no traction bars and it has 0 wheel hop even with a 475 hp small block in it.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Texas Jim

C3, Is it all in the shocks on the 'Vette as far as preventing wheel hop? The tech guy I spoke with at Jegs mentioned drag shocks. I do know that you can buy adjustable drag shocks that are streetable.
I will have to say, yes. It's the shocks that actually restrick the movement of the spring. Without shocks, you only get the spring action and a bouncy ride. the shocks limit the reaction time of the spring. A sort of stablizer if you will.
You want to talk about a hit to the wallet, go with drag shocks, or drop some more doe, and go for custom made traction bars.
A set of Blistens aren't near as costly.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 PM

OK starship how much are we talking for a set of rear bilstien shocks?? thanx

Quick Reply: How to stop wheel hop in a 68?