Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Huge puddle of coolant under the car this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Default Huge puddle of coolant under the car this morning...

Hello everyone,
I am a new corvette owner and new to this board, and hope this board is a great as some others I have participated in in the past! I have a 1981 4sp, and I looked under it this morning before I took it out and there was a HUGE puddle of coolant under the car, almost directly under the passenger seat (or where the passengers legs/feet would rest). I'm assuming it is not leaking from the radiator or reserve tank, as the leak is no where near these. Could this be the hearter core? If so, any advice or experiences anyone can offer on doing the job myself (should I)? I have done minor work to some of my past cars (replacing water pumps, alternators, tensioner pully, removing and bypassing the AC system, etc). Thanks in advance for your help!
Brent

Old 09-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Huge puddle of coolant under the car this morning...

I would not say the heater core but the hoses leading to the heater core maybe. I think if it was the heater core it would be wet on the inside of the car.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM

I would agree with Danase. Check the inside of the car in the passenger footwell. If it is dry I would think it would be a leak outside the core.

The core sits inside the car and when they leak the fluid usually runs into the passenger compartment right at the passenger's feet. The core is not that difficult as far as mechanical skills. It is time consuming as you have to remove the center guage console and the passenger side dash to get to the core which sits on the transmission hump behind the radio. Hopefully it is just the hoses.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Administrator

i, too, agree with it being something in the coolant transfer system...perhaps jack the car up and have a look? how long has it been sitting?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 PM

Hey GUys,
Thanks for the replies. I noticed the puddle ywo days ago, but didnt have the time to jack it up until tonight. I cant find the source of the leak anywhere- the fluid was sitting under the car approx. 2 ft. back from the front passenger side tire, and 16 inches in (just slightly to the in side of the exhaust pipe. The inside of the car is completely dry, and I dont see the source anywhere- any suggestions? Thanks for the replies!
Brent

Old 09-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Check from the top, I don't think you would have to jack it up to find the source. And you are sure it is coolant and not trans fluid or something right? Are you low on coolant? Could it be possible that someone else leaked it and you did not notice it when you parked there?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:16 AM

The fluid was a watery, light green so I am almost positive it is coolant. It happened it my garage, so it had to be my car! When I get off work tonight I will have some more time to investigate- thanks everyone for your help so far!
Brent

Old 09-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

check along the firewall where the hearer hoses meet the firewall...i am pretty sure that they would be roughly above where you explained.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Hi Patrick,
Thanks- I will look tonight! This morning I added some more coolant, drove it around for a ½ hour or so, and parked it back in the garage. I just when out and looked at it and I don’t see a leak (or any signs of one) anywhere. I’m wondering- could it possibly be from overfilling the fluid? I had the oil changed and all the fluids filled 3 weeks ago, then added a little more coolant myself a couple days later because I though it looked slightly low. However, I do look under the car before every time I take it out (I’m somewhat **** about this car because I purchased it 2 months ago and I don’t know its history) and there has not been a drop of any fluid until the other day when I found a puddle under it, so its definately not a slow leak.
Brent

Old 09-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Fluid could of easily over flown for sure. It also could of been that your thermostat did not open in that 1/2 hour but it probably did.

Quick Reply: Huge puddle of coolant under the car this morning...