Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

I haven't given up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default I haven't given up!

To all those who were following along,helped with info and moral support, I haven't given up on the 454 transplant.
( Just incase anyone had any doubts )
After careful concidration, and reading other posts, I've come up withwhatI feel will be the best route to go. 4 core alum rad, and twin elec. fans.
A little pricey, but hey, a better end result.

I will def let y'all know when she fires up, so be patient with me. [sm=gears.gif]

Old 09-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Default RE: I haven't given up!

Hi Starship, I know you're waitin' patiently to get things together. I think you're making a good choice with the aluminum radiator. I replaced the original in my L48 automatic after it started to leak, this of course was due to years of neglect and the heavy-duty cleaner I used in the system to improve the flow. So, in anticipation of puttin' the stroker in, I new I would need more surface area to get rid of heat, I wanted to use the local radiator shop but he dragged his feet and eventually said he couldn't help me. I ended up gettin' a four row copper unit on-line, really pissed me off when it arrived in the chinese box. Anyway, it fit ok and I don't have any cooling problems now but I won't go that route again, I should have spent the $500 on a U.S. built aluminum job and I wouldn't have to wince each time I think about the import issue. Keep us posted, good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

I was really gung-ho in gettin' the "Starship" rollin' again, but little issues kept poppin' up. I decided that I'll stop right whereI was, and put together a parts list whereI won't be cutting any corners, and get what I feel to be, maybe not the best, but dang close to it.

I hear ya on the "Chin Box", too many toy recalls and I have seen a real lack of quality in a lot of their products. Remonicent of the "Japan" stuff during the '50s and '60s. If it ain't made in the USA, it ain't goin' on my Vette.I'll take quality over price anytime.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Hey Dave, never once crossed my mind you gave up. Anyone who works on thier own vette and especially those who modify and custom do things knows what it is like,then add in the budget concerns and you have a project and a theme for building patience. Hope all is going well down there. I just had a rad shop do a custom rad for my GMG 4x4 deisel pick up. This rad is pretty much indestructable and could cool a kenworth, just a little exageration but you get the idea. With taxes and all it was $700.00 but for me well worth it when I am 200 miles in the bush or just in bumper to bumper on the freeway in 90 plus temp pulling the vette on a trailer. One day she will do the run under her own power, and what a powerhouse she will be!!! Well take care my friend ,I am always cruising through the forum to see how things are going, don't always get a chance to chat.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Hell Dave, patience is a virtue. I'm currently at 9.5 weeks waiting for my paint job... That's 9.5 weeks since they actually started the body work. I was supposed to have it back last Wednesday (the 5th date that I have been given), but when I called Friday to check, I was told "we should have it done for next friday, we are almost ready to spray primer". Yeesh. I've missed 2 months of primo summer cruising weather, 10 cruise ins at the local ice cream stand, and the Carlisle trip that my wife and I were planning and planning and planning. F'n bozos.

So here I sit looking at the pile of parts in my to-do list... just chomping at the bit to smoke a couple rice burners stop light to stop light...

bill.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Dang bill, that should be quite a paint job, with all the prep they're doin', eh?
Tell them I'll come down and shoot "Primer" if he doesn't get with it. They should have shot him a long time ago. I think "Primer" is related to "Bubba".

Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

Hell Dave, patience is a virtue. I'm currently at 9.5 weeks waiting for my paint job... That's 9.5 weeks since they actually started the body work. I was supposed to have it back last Wednesday (the 5th date that I have been given), but when I called Friday to check, I was told "we should have it done for next friday, we are almost ready to spray primer". Yeesh. I've missed 2 months of primo summer cruising weather, 10 cruise ins at the local ice cream stand, and the Carlisle trip that my wife and I were planning and planning and planning. F'n bozos.

So here I sit looking at the pile of parts in my to-do list... just chomping at the bit to smoke a couple rice burners stop light to stop light...

bill.

At least they're busy enough that they're not tryin' to make their livin' off of your job.

I don't really like takin' my stuff to a place where all three bays are empty...

Good attitude about foreign jam goin' into yer box there c3, but I don't think anything is made in this country anymore.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

"Good attitude about foreign jam goin' into yer box there c3, but I don't think anything is made in this country anymore."

Well, the rad and fan systemare stated to have been American made, so.......

( bill, spray is just a multiple of shoot. So ya, I'll spray "Primer" too.)

Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 AM
pg

Hi C3Starship. I'm sorry that I could not get back to you sooner, as you know I drive a water truck and they have kept me busy for 12 hours a day for the last 2 months, I've tried to keep up with your posts but many days I had no time to reply. As most of us find out it takes a lot more time and money to continue our projects, I'm sure that you are hot to finish your car, but what's the rush?
I've enjoyed your posts and progress reports, so if it takes a while longer, so be it. Lee Willis makes 7 figures a year and he has the money to do it yesterday, the rest of ushave to do it as our money permits. You just keet at it and you'll be on the road soon enough, my hope it that we can all meat someday andget to know oneanother.Good to hear from you again. PG.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 AM

I feel your pain the project seems to be enjoyable at first and after a while it si just frustrating to even look at because it seem like its never going to be done!!!!! but right when it gets put together it all becomes worth it!!! as long as ya' dont take any short cuts[&:]you just have to think in the end the right way is the best way!!! good luck I hope you get it together soon enough

Quick Reply: I haven't given up!