Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

info needed on 80-82 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Default info needed on 80-82 Corvettes

Hello everyone. I'm currently thinking about buying an 80-82 Corvette. I haven't forund one as of yet(currently serving the 101st airborn division in Iraq). But plan on buying one when I get back home. This isn't my favorite Corvette but it is one I can afford. I really like the style of the 80-82. But I was wondering what I should check when I go to buy one. What are the typical problem areas of this body style. It would be my first Corvette and i want to insure I don't get a lemon, as it would be driven regulary. I know the Cross-Fire injection system is supposed to be a headache. But other than that I have no idea what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have about 8 months left before I get home and plan on educating myself greatly before I go home and make my purchase. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: info needed on 80-82 Corvettes

First, Welcome to CF, and
Thank you for your sevice to our country![sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Not only the C3, but any Vette, Check the suspension, electics, and brakes!
While checking the suspension, you can check the steering too.
God Bless ya Bro, and come home safe.[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 PM

Other than normal engine/trans checkout that you would do on any older car... Personally, I hate crossfire injection and the additional electronics of the 82. Some folks love them though. I went with an 81, because that was the deal that I found, and the car I liked ($4k on Ebay).

Rust around the rear frame at the trailing arms, rust anywhere on the frame (other than surface rust) are not good things. I generally look at how a car was taken care of when I'm looking at older stuff. Bushings should be decent, not cracked or missing. Hoses and belts should be decent. Wiring should be close to original, without a ton of splicing and dicing. Most normal electricals should work (power windows, wipers, lights, gages, etc.).

Cosmetics are fairly easy, seats, carpet, gage lenses, trim pieces... time and money are all you need there. Most of those items are available on Ebay, Ecklers, MadVet, CorvetteAmerica, and many other places. A bent frame, frame rot at the trailing arms, dying differential, rear wheel spindles, and complete bushing sets get a bit higher on the pricelist and effort scale.

I bought mine with a bent frame, wrong upper inner control arms (wouldn't align), bad bushings all over, gunky carb, dead AC, dead heater box, rusted out headlight assemblies... Should have been on the way to the junkyard. The paint was decent, the seats, carpet, and trim were all new, and it *looked* like a decent car. I got a good deal, and 6 months later, it is a helluva fun car to drive around. Just be aware what kind of work, and how much of it, you are getting into.

bill.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 AM

im currently thinkign about an 82 vette i saw an ad for, i DO know that it had a crossfire engine, but unfortunately i know little more (as far as under the hood goes) but i did see that u mentioned that the crossfire system was a huge pain, why is that? and what do i look for under the hood when deciding whether or not i want this? and how reliable are they to be a reg. day-to-day vehicle?

Tom

Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 AM

Some folks like the cross-fire injection stuff. Personally, I like a good old carb, or a modern fuel injection system. In my humble opinion, the cross-fire didn't add anything more than complexity and more pieces to break. No real additional power benefit, and no real fuel savings.

A C3 can be a daily driver, but it has to be in top shape, and well kept after. I use mine to commute to the office in nice weather. It has 200+k miles on the original engine and trans, doesn't burn oil, and has yet to leave me sitting. Then again, I have put alot of work and alot of garage time into it to make sure it stays that way. I usually skip the highways in favor of twisty back roads, and avoid rush hour. Definitely recommended for unwinding on the way home.

If I wanted a daily driver C3, I would likely start with a fresh crate motor, and possibly a fresh trans. Suspension and bushings would have to be up to snuff. Vacuum systems would have to be well maintained.

bill.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 AM

I found a 81 on ebay that was a one owner Flordia car , and was sitting for 6 years. I live in MA so to find a car with a frame that you can see the production numbers stenciled on was great. I striped the paint and refinished to original, but bored the motor, flat top pistons, nice cam etc...
looks completely stock but flys.I have about 16000 invested but it is great...Thanks for what you do.. God Bless

Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 AM

THANKS FOR SERVING MY MAN!!!.....Was Army myself, and my prayers are with you! The cross fire motor is only a headache if you let it be one. A good GM Manual will walk you though the things you need to know. Brakes where a problem at one time, but now you can get stainless steel calipers rotors and all that good stuff. Check out e-bay. Check body lines to make sure panels line up good, this will tell you if it was hit, or repaired at a bad shop. Check for overspray in the hidden places like vents, under the hood, fenderwells, engine compartment. There are six u-joints in this car, and they should be checked. Take a bar, and stick it under the tires, and then wiggle the bar in a up and down motion. This will tell you the bearing play in the front, and rear of the car. Shoud be no more than 1/8th inch play. Check your steering box also. The box is known to have alot of play. the more play, the more miles it really has. As I informed another fellow, I believe the 81-82 will be a great collectors car here shortly, as they discontinued the shark body in 82. I hope this helps you, and a GREAT BIG THANK YOU! for serving, so I could cruise my Vette. Good luck short timer, and keep counting the days. I know you will makes it home..................................Gary

Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM

well first i should say thanks for your service, im in the airforce and i gotta 1977 and i picked it up on the dirt. i looked into it and evidently since its the straight back window but isnt a "stingray" they look good, perform well, and look just like the stingrays. i picked mine up for 3k and i dropped a later engine in it and its been a dream, but if you like the bubble back window than obviously 79^ would be the way to go. but ive owned an 80 and 82 and i loved em. i guess just make sure everything mechanically and all your wiring checks out....thats all i got...god speed

Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM

I was in 3rd Infantry Division
1st deployment= 68' camaro drag car
in between deployments=24 trailer (to store tools/car in 2nd deployment
2nd deployment= Contimplated 5months if I should get a diesel truck...4months later I bought diesel truck
...came back they closed the local dragstrips. Now I have an awesome truck and a 82project vette (always wanted a stingray)
I hate Iraq but it is nice when you don't have anything else to spend money for a year. Good luck w/ your search. Have fun when you get home and get what you want (Budget-wise)!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 AM

Hard to add to what has already been said. The consensus among restorers seems to be that the 81s and 82s with crossfire are problematic. When I was looking for my c3 I decided on 80 because it was the first year the industry standardized on the 19-character VIN, so an accurate car-fax search can be done. Unless you are looking for a resto project, that is important, especially in a car of this type.

Quick Reply: info needed on 80-82 Corvettes