Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Inline filter for a 1979

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Default Inline filter for a 1979

I would like to put an inline filter in my 1979, but was told I couldn't do it. It was explained that on 1976 and later models, special fuel filters with anti-spillage valves were used.
I have 2 questions, first what is an anti spillage valve and secondly, where are they located?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Inline filter for a 1979

I don't see why you couldn't put one in unless there is a pressure issue or something. they work on most if not all other cars, right?
My '87 has the filter located on the frame rail just forward of the driver side rear tire. dosn't look any different from any other that I've seen inline. But who knows. Cheers

Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 AM

Hi basbol13, the stock Q-Jet carb has the fuel filter located in the fuel inlet of the carb, for the '79 it is about an inch and a half long, the filter is made of treated pleated paper and under normal use it performs OK, the one thing that really screws up this type of filter is water-it swells up the paper. In the inlet end of the filter element is a spring loaded check valve, this is probably what was reffered to as the anti-spillage valve, it's designed to keep the fuel from draining back into the fuel line when the engine is shut down. There is no reason you can't add an inline filter either by itself or in addition to the stock filter. The problem is where to locate the added filter, most guys cut the 3/8 steel tube a few inches from the carb and use rubber fuel hose to plumb in the inline at that point, it works fine but does'nt look stock. You probably wont find an aftermarket filter that will trapp anything smaller than the stock one but the larger filter will have more capacity and if your having trouble with the stock filter plugging up this will let you go longer intervals between filter changes.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Well Buckshot, looks like ya pretty well got this one covered.

If ya want to keep the stock look under the hood, you can place the filter anywhere in line. Like Blueshark says, a lot of them have been installed under the car, just in front of the rear wheelwell.Some of the time, the filters come with two hoses and clamps. Just tell the guy at the parts house, ya want one that comes with the hoses and clamps.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi Dave, it's 'kinda hard to get these hunt and peck/carpal tunnel fingers moving on this keyboard but I try to get as much info across as I can, 'sorta give the guys a good overview of the project at hand. I ain't too bright on the new stuff but try to hold up my end when I can on the old school equipment.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

"Old School", me too. I'm a '60's motorhead and can't even keep up with all the new electronic Schmidt. Just gimme a basic Hot Rod, and I'm fine.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:49 PM

I installed an inline fuel filter on my 77. On the passanger side in front of the rear wheel. The fuel line changes from rubber to metal there. It's tucked up along the side of the frame.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: basbol13

I would like to put an inline filter in my 1979, but was told I couldn't do it. It was explained that on 1976 and later models, special fuel filters with anti-spillage valves were used.
I have 2 questions, first what is an anti spillage valve and secondly, where are they located?
78buckshot covered it all. Just remember that there's a good reason GM didn't use rubber hose on the pressure side of the fuel pump. If you do decide to add an extra filter between the pump and carb, be sure you get the new hose design for fuel injection. It'll last a lot longer and won't burst and possibly burn up your pride and joy. I think that the anti-spillage terminology came from the rollover test a car has to pass and can't leak more than a specified amount of gas.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Question, 73shark.....
My Vette fuel line, from the tank, is not pressurized. The fuel pump is the mechanical type on the block, but I don't have the original engine and stuff.
Did Vettes of that vintage have an in tank pump?

Old 04-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Dave, all the carbuerated engines through 1981 have the block mounted diaphram style mechanical pump, when the manufacturers went to electronic injection they moved the pump to the tank and of course changed to an electric pump, your '80 should have a 3/8 inch supply line and a 5/16 inch return running side by side from the tank to the fuel pump, if you do go with dual quads on the rat motor you might have increase the supply but I'd get it all together and modify the line afterwords if needed, Bob

Quick Reply: Inline filter for a 1979