Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Jacking Procedure for four points

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Default Jacking Procedure for four points

I'm trying to clean up and paint the calipers on my '81. Ideally I'd like to put her completely in the air on four jack stands. Is there a safe procedure for jacking up the car to place on four stands. I've read what I could find on the forums but all I saw were procedures on C5s this seems like this would be a little different. I have one floor jack and four jack stands. Would I go side by side doing the front first then back? Or should I stick to just one end at a time? If someone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 AM
pg
Default RE: Jacking Procedure for four points

The book says to jack up the rear by placing the jack 3" foward of the fender opening, which is about 1" in front of where the back of the door opens.
Same book says to place the jack 5" behind the front fender opening, or about 3" in front of where the front door opens.
I can't rember ever having the whole car up in the air, usually I was working on the front or rear only.
I seem to remember a brake line in that area so be carefull not to crush it.
I was told to open the doors and close them to the first click and to loosen the T Tops before jacking the car up. Not sure about that so maybe someone else will chime in.
If you call 800 222 1020 and give them your Vin # GM will send you a free restoration guide and some basic info on your Vette, PG.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 AM

pg is telling you right, to open the doors when you lift the car. I even open them when I jack up one point. When I get home tonight, I'll give you the info on the points that the GM 'Vette manual gives for lifting the car at one and/or all four points. I need to get a shower and dash. Long days SUCK! But there are specific points for lifting, all w/i acouple of inches of each other, like pg said. The manual from GM must have a reason, I suppose...more tonight.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 AM

You guys are spot on with the Jacking points, I found a manual that listed them this morning. Now I'm just curious if there is a safe way/sequence to get all four in the air... Thanks for the input so far.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I raise the front end first since if the back end it up, there's no clearance to get the jack under the front end. Be sure to something between the jack stand and the frame like a thin piece of rubber or leather to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Increases the friction and helps prevent slipping.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 AM

On the side, just under the front of the door, where the frame straightens out, for about a foot-one lifting point. And infront of the rear wheel, just infront of the 90 degree turn in the frame, for about a foot-the other lifting point. Same on the opposite side. These are for a hydraulic shop lift. (all four points)
Under the ends of the frame in the front on both sides. These are the points for Jack Stands.
Under tires and A-frames for any other lifting like drive-on type.

***This is the way to do it according to the GM Corvette Shop manual.