Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Just bought 78 Corvette, Love it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Default Just bought 78 Corvette, Love it!

I was wondering 2 things and thought someone has experience as I start my voyage.
Which is the best value shop manual for a regular guy, I will not be doing engine work, more interested in the interior and body aspects.
Also, has anyone successfully replaced the center dash and gauge panel light bulbs? I have seen many incomplete threads and none mention how many bulbs there are and what the trade name is for example are they all 194? I have also read LED's work for some and not others?

Old 09-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Default Gauge panel lights

Originally Posted by Consult
I was wondering 2 things and thought someone has experience as I start my voyage.
Which is the best value shop manual for a regular guy, I will not be doing engine work, more interested in the interior and body aspects.
Also, has anyone successfully replaced the center dash and gauge panel light bulbs? I have seen many incomplete threads and none mention how many bulbs there are and what the trade name is for example are they all 194? I have also read LED's work for some and not others?
I have a 79 and had the dash out to have work done on the speedometer and if I remember ther are about 9 bulbs and all of them 194. I was able to get all the information for removing the dash from the internet.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Consult: Welcome to the forum

The only problem the only problem I have seen with LED bulbs is with turn signals where the control circuitry sometimes relies on a resistive load. Some LED bulbs now come with the resistor built-in or as a second part.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark
Consult: Welcome to the forum

The only problem the only problem I have seen with LED bulbs is with turn signals where the control circuitry sometimes relies on a resistive load. Some LED bulbs now come with the resistor built-in or as a second part.
I wonder, if finding exactly the right part these days, has become a skill. I say that because I am in my 60's, and I remember when it seems more people, were open and honest. Today it seems, for example; "knock-off" parts are the majority available, but the part that is going to fit and work right, most likely has a nuance in the specifications that is either difficult to find, or not there at all, on purpose. O'Reilly, for example, gets close on many parts, but for some cars, close won't get it.
...it's close enough to sell, and we'll allow for a percentage of sophisticated buyers to return parts that don't fit or apply to the intended purpose. I just spent 3 days on the phone trying to find a power steering pump pulley. It's not findable anywhere in the U.S. So when I realized it was not findable, I simplified my request to the online sales person. I had him search from- 1978 Corvette power steering pump pulley, to; 1978 Chevrolet 350 V8, and found them everywhere. Look for parts in the most generic sense you can, and they are no longer "so special".

Last edited by Consult; 09-20-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Default Finding parts for your vette

My advice to you is go to the people that cater to the corvette owners. I’ve had very good luck finding the parts I need at Ecklers and Paragon. I actually looked for the power steering pulley and found it in Paragons catalog. Also the quality of the parts that I’ve ordered from these people has been very good to great.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Besides Ecklers and Paragon there is Corvette America, Zip Products, Corvette Central, Willcox, Vette Brakes. Those are just the ones off of the top of my head but there are many more out there.