Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

L88 Block

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Default L88 Block

Hello I have a BB Chevy 427. I believe it is an L88. Not certain though.

The numbers on the passenger back right are "HI PERF"
on the drivers side they are "3904351," no VIN.

There is nothing on the passenger front of the block. It might have been removed when it was decked 30+ years ago.

I am trying to figure out if it has a 4-bolt main and it's value.

Please if someone knows could they please ID this block. Is there any other numberings I should be looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Corvette Forum. While I'm sure someone here will chime in with some answers like casting numbers and dates, you might try searching this forum and do a Google search while you're waiting.

Have you dropped the pan yet? I'm guessing you don't have any info on the car that it came from.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM

zz,
At Http://www.mortec.com that casting number says it's a; 1967 427 2 or 4 bolt main, which means that you have to pull the pan to find out if it's a 2 or 4 bolt. In my opinion, a '67 427 is worth alot, as those years were thicker than the later years were. In any event, you have a great engine and a real keeper. Good luck w/ her.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

I think there should be a casting date code on the block somewhere.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Hey gang, as much as I hate to state the obvious I will - this forum is dead. We are over run with sex, drugs and gambling ads not to mention some others and no one seems to care. I have been extending an invitation to everyone here to visit ********.com, it is a friendly and informative site and a major improvement over this sad place.

Come on, what have you got to lose?

Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Or you might try:http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...982-corvettes/

Not only a lot of knowledgeable members but there is access to a lot of resource mat'l.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by DeeVeeEight
Hey gang, as much as I hate to state the obvious I will - this forum is dead. We are over run with sex, drugs and gambling ads not to mention some others and no one seems to care. I have been extending an invitation to everyone here to visit ********.com, it is a friendly and informative site and a major improvement over this sad place.

Come on, what have you got to lose?

DeeVee,
I haven't noticed the drugs and sex ads, but I don't look at anything but what the forum is all about. I do hope that this site stays in operation.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 AM
pg
Default R. I. P.

Originally Posted by DeeVeeEight
Hey gang, as much as I hate to state the obvious I will - this forum is dead.
I agree! The best forum is at http://forums.corvetteforum.com
You have a contributing sponsor 'Willcox Corvette' that just posted all the correct vacuum diagrams for all the C-3 for free!
They are the only sponsor that goes above and beyond to help answer questions on how to diagnose a problem even if you did not purchase the part from them.
You also have DWncchs who is an expert on electrical problems who is glad to give you the correct information.
You have BarryK who took the time to post a 'Sticky' on timing your car correctly, with links to another expert, John Hinckley and others.
You get contributions and pages of information from Lars Grimsrud who developed the Q-Jet at Gm.
There are trailing arm experts like GTR1999 and Trackdog with years of experience on trailing arm and rear end and steering box repairs.
Jim Shea worked at GM and will help you repair any problem with your steering column.
I have tried to explain rotor run out on this forum and was told that they never heard of such a thing.
When I informed a poster that vacuum 101 had the wrong diagram I got grief.
There are experts on the other forum that can help you get some correct advice on how to get some HP from a 350 or 383.
I'm tired of seeing questions here about what cover should I protect my car with.
If you want to exchange a lot of small talk stay here, if you want to learn something visit us over there, Petes74ttop.

Last edited by pg; 07-28-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I noticed that Aldo from Italy migrated over there. Wonder what happened to Starship?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pg
I agree! The best forum is at http://forums.corvetteforum.com
You have a contributing sponsor 'Willcox Corvette' that just posted all the correct vacuum diagrams for all the C-3 for free!
They are the only sponsor that goes above and beyond to help answer questions on how to diagnose a problem even if you did not purchase the part from them.
You also have DWncchs who is an expert on electrical problems who is glad to give you the correct information.
You have BarryK who took the time to post a 'Sticky' on timing your car correctly, with links to another expert, John Hinckley and others.
You get contributions and pages of information from Lars Grimsrud who developed the Q-Jet at Gm.
There are trailing arm experts like GTR1999 and Trackdog with years of experience on trailing arm and rear end and steering box repairs.
Jim Shea worked at GM and will help you repair any problem with your steering column.
I have tried to explain rotor run out on this forum and was told that they never heard of such a thing.
When I informed a poster that vacuum 101 had the wrong diagram I got grief.
There are experts on the other forum that can help you get some correct advice on how to get some HP from a 350 or 383.
I'm tired of seeing questions here about what cover should I protect my car with.
If you want to exchange a lot of small talk stay here, if you want to learn something visit us over there, Petes74ttop.
CorvetteForum is run by a bunch of goosestepping **** Hypocrites. Try disagreeing with the crowd and see how long you last over there. I agree that there are a lot of good, knowledgeable people there but the climate there sucks. Try having a different opinion about a product like AFR heads and you will find yourself banned. All of the real "Guru's" while maybe still posting on CF, have made the move to ********.com, they got disgusted with the CF politics too. If you are not leg humping with the rest of the CF crowd you will find yourself an outcast. CF is interested in sponsors and money, they don't give a rats *** about the hobby or the people. You will also find quite a few power tripping moderators over there - have fun with THEM! They are REAL ********!

Quick Reply: L88 Block