Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Major Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
gpa
Default Major Problem

Ok its a problem I am stumped. I was putting the hood on my vette. But now it is stuck closed what is the trick to open it. Its a 76 and I am stumped. Please help!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM

It's probably just a little misaligned causing the loop thingy's on the hood to bind in the latches. If that's the problem all you need to do is exert some serious opening pressure while someone pulls on the release lever.
Other than that,you may have broken a latch cable which I really don't know how to overcome. Good Luck!
Ron
I'm guessing from what my 79 is like,is the 76 the same?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I found what I was lookin' for, hope this helps.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-0-3852.html

​Shown in the above link are some pictures of the hood latches on a 1978.
Nothing is more frustrating than pulling on the hood release of your 1968-1982 Corvette and having the cable snap! We have observed this happening at nearly every show that we attend. Simple maintenance, such as lubricating and checking the cables for wear will reduce the chance of unexpected failure, but if the worst does occur, there is a simple solution. Located in the windshield wiper well, just in front of the windshield, are two access ports covered by plastic plugs. These are positioned just behind the hood latches in the engine compartment. Take a few minutes to check the location of the ports and their positions relative to the hood latches. In an emergency, you can push a long screwdriver through these plugs on 1968-1976 models and flip the hood latches forward enough to release them. On 1977-1982 models, the hood latches may be tripped by prying the driver's side latch lever to the outside. This should release both sides, but if it only releases the driver's side, then repeat the procedure on the passenger's side access port. A) Shown here is the driver's side hood latch. Insert a long screwdriver (approx. 12") through the grommet from the windshield side and insert the tip into the slot on the latch. Push in the direction of the arrows. B) Here's a close-up of the drivers side latch with the screwdriver engaging the slot. If the crossover cable isn't broken, this should pop the hood. C) If the crossover cable is broken, you will need to repeat the procedure on the passenger side. The passenger side latch works a bit differently. Insert the screwdriver to engage the tang shown on the right and lever it down (in the direction of the left-most arrow). D) The screwdriver only has to be inserted an inch or so to engage the passenger side tang. Take a few minutes now to check out these access ports and practice the procedure. It's much easier to do if you practice with the hood open and get a feel for the locations and distances to reach these latches. If your cables are old and looking frayed, replacement now would be strongly suggested. By learning this simple technique, you just may "save the day" for yourself or a fellow Corvette owner.​

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

I was so fearful of this happening, I put an extra cross-over cable on mine.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM

This is a typical problem with C3,s, scared the crap out of me when I tried to open my hood at a cruise night.

Your release cable has probably streched out over the years.
Before you do anthing serious try this.

Before you pull the hood release try banging on the hood with your hand on the points closer to the corners by the fenders and windshield this is where the hood latches are.
Then try pulling the hood release.

This worked for me until I was able to replace the cables.
Another method would be get a piece of stiff wire a little longer then the width of the hood and bend it in the shape of a U on one end.
If you can pry one corner of the hood up with your hand and slip the wire accross and grab the cable and pull.
Good luck,
Schoon