Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

missing smog equipment

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Default missing smog equipment

Hello all, recently bought a 76. it has no smog equipment on the engine, it does have the cats but that is it. I have failed deq 7 times. So I have come to the realization that I need to replace the removed equipment. The book (you know the original blue service manual)that I have is very unclear about this equipment. Anyone have any better sources for this info and/or parts laying around that you would like to get rid of at a fair price?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Do you have the smog pump brackets still on the car? If so it makes it easy, if not, that would be obvious that you need that along with the pump. The manifolds, unless they were changed to headers or something, should still have the plumbing attached, I believe they were steel and connected with a rubber hose from the pump to the manifold air tubes. Most of the time people just cut the hose or un-clamp it and remove the hose and pump and brackets. Of course a fan belt is likely needed to
A little more info of your motor or a pic of your manifolds 'exhaust' would be of help for us to determine what you need.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 PM

none, zero, nada there is no equipment no brackets no hoses no crossover pipe, only cats. I was thinking that what I need to put on are 74 manifolds with the injection pipes because the previous owner put on true duals. I just need to know where what goes where. Ideally with pics of someones engine with the smog equip intact

Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 AM

Mmm...K, the cats will be a problem unless you have a tube coming out of the front of it, about a 3/4 inch pipe. From there it goes up towards the pump and is fed air, same as the manifolds w/air injection fittings/pipes. I looked on ebay, a complete bracket was around 50 bucks, the pump was around a hundred, the pulley for it around 35 bucks. This is the main components beside the manifolds (exh mani.). I'm thinking your gonn'aspend a two hundred to two fifty before you gather up everything, that is if the manifolds will bolt up to the proper manifold fittings ......I think you won't be that lucky, 'bummer' but Are you a motorhead? can you do this yourself, it's not at all hard, maybe cramped but easily doable....!
First, look and try to find out if the air pump is typical GM and was used on various models of cars and trucks. If so a Junk Yard one would be the answer for economy's sake. I don't think you'll be as lucky with the brackets, but ...maybe...hopefully.
^^ ^^
A call to a auto parts might answer the pump question as to interchangeability. If so....Score (thumbs up) The plumbing of course will be a junkyard 'maybe' but more likely an Ebay Motors thing. I'm hoping/thinking you may luck out on the bracket too. The proper manifolds..... maybe too. But again, it might be a Ebay thing.

Of course all of it can be gotten 0off of Ebay, but junk yard accessabillity would be in your favor except for the time you spend removing the components.

This ain't going to be very hard, just a 'time hassle'

Last edited by Gohot; 06-17-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 AM

I hope this links.

| Repair Guides | Emission Controls | Air Injection Reactor (air) System | AutoZone.com

This is the best I could come up with...so far, it shows everything. It might be a bit more than the 250 I was thinking depending on how much you don't have. And you did say 'nada'

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 AM

"The Banana Rat of Borneo"
A classic fictional work, for entertainment only.

There was a rat who had a car, yes some rats have cars. He had a terrible time when he had to register it because he had a lot of missing parts. There was another rat in the town where he lived, who, for a gratuity of ....oh say $100 would 'make sure' it was able to pass the emissions testing .....'he knew magic' .......ahem, and the rat lived a long time and had many children.... The End.

Epilogue: The rat spent a while looking for emissions friends, married one and lived happily ever after.

Another happy story brought to you for entertainment only....

Old 06-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Well after a closer inspection and some additional reading.
1 the pcv valve was capped, I reattached a hose to the carb
2 the thermal vacuum switch and the egr was capped, also replaced the hoses
3 I was very close to passing .5 over on the co emissions, so I am gonna run my baby through one or two more times (its free in Oregon until you pass) well see

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM

If you search a little, I think you will find a solution. Check articles like this, do a few searches and determine if it would suit you.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...yga5yYisjyUI5A

Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM

WHOOHOO!!! SUPER SCORE, I found a complete exhaust system from tailpipes to manifolds with all the smog equipment. Came off 77, different then the 76 but it will work. it uses air injectors on the manifold like the 74. I got the pump,hoses,all valves. Friggin everything for 150 bucks

Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Run it just about out of gas,put a couple of gallons of alcohol(not the drinking or rubbing kind-methyl) get it smogged and then fill it up with gas and drive merrily away.

Quick Reply: missing smog equipment