Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

NEED HELP to verify my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Default NEED HELP to verify my Vette

Hey Everyone,

I have aquired I believe a 1969 Corvette. I am very green to Corvette and really dont haveany idea where to start to look for infomation, etc on what I have, production numbers etc.Below is all the information I have found on the car during my walk-around.

The car is white with tan interior.4 speed shifter with a metal plate just behind the shifter that reads ZL1 427. The car has black side pipes and I believe magesium wheels.

VIN: 194379S733608

Chrome plate on drivers side door compartment hinge reads
Trim 421
Paint 972

Front engine block 399289 or3899289 (I need to verify with metal brush)
Front engine block reads T1017XCH
Right siderear engine block 125-78 Rt.
Drivers side rear engine block GM 10 T CONV
Alternator: Delco model 63

There is no carb, however the intake reads Edelbrock TM2R

It does have aluminum heads with snowflake stamping. I pulled the vavle cover and it has roller rockers.
M22 Rock crusher transmission. Different shifter than original so I need to get the numbers off the tranny however I dont know where they are located

The rear diff does not appear to be stock. How can I find number to verify diff.

No radio, no power steering, no power brakes, T Tops.

That is what I have to share ...... please any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I do have a complete photo album of the car that I can send to you r email if you want to see pics. Just send me your email address and I'll send them over.

Thanks again and I look forward to your response.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Default RE: NEED HELP to verify my Vette

3999289....454.......71-79...2 or 4 bolt, some "CE" replacement blocks had four bolt main caps

[align=left]Looks like someone did at least a block swap, if not an engine swap back in the 70's. Your intake is also not original, but it sounds like you have a few pieces missing anyway. The 454 and 427 blocks are pretty much interchangeable, so you might still be at 427ci. With other mods though, it wouldn't be considered a ZL1 anymore.

Bummer, I'd be glad to take it off of your hands though.

Sounds like it could be a way fun toy car, or a good candidate for restoration if you are willing to put some bigger $$$ into wrenching it back to glory.

nill.

[/align]

Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 PM

To add a bit more info on the ZL1 numbers:

3946074....69&71...rect...OPEN...'69 427 L88, ZL1, Aluminum, 118cc chamber
'71 454 LS6, "round exhaust port"

Kinda like finding a unicorn though...

Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM

The VIN# that you gave is for a 1969 Corvette coupe. The trim tag tells you that the paint codewas White with a saddle leather interior. I question why you question the year of the car. Don't you have a title or some ownership papers that tell you the model year?

I think you should invest in a NCRS Specification Guide or some other reputable restoration guide since there were only 2 ZL's built in 1969 and those cars are considered extremely valluable. It would be worth your while to verify every original part on the car.

On the other hand that Zl1 tag can be bought from most catalog vendors for about $15. Many people wanted these cars but only 2 were built so they are often cloned. In all likelihood the 2 original cars are probably very well documented and well known.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Yes I do have the bill of sale and title that states 69.Someone that saw the pictures of the car mentioned that the front end didn't look like a 69, then another guy said it was a 69. I dis not know how to verify with the VIN.Iread about apartnership between Baldwin Chevrolet and Joel Rosen's motion performance which they specializedwith the ZL1.Does anyone know how to determine if thi car would have come from Baldwin?I wanted to make sure I know how to determine thateverything else matches so I have a few more questions.

What doI needto look for on the cylinder heads ?(as I mentioned the snowflake stamping is there)How can I determine 427ci ? You mentioned the intake was incorrect what is the correct intake and what should the correct carb be? I am going to the shop tomorrow to raise the car in the air. Anything I should look for on the transmission?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 AM

There were only ZL1's built period. However there were 69 1969 ZL1 Camaros built. The ZL1 is a steel sleeved aluminum block with aluminum rectangular heads and aluminum intake topped off with a Holley 4 barrel. The block, heads and intake must have the Winters Foundry snowflake on them to be authentic. The two original 69 ZL1 Corvettes are stiil intact and in private collections. There area few clones out there that have been built over the yearswith over the counter replacement blocks, heads andmanifolds that were available from Chevrolet dealers until the mid 70's. As for whether you have a 427 of 454, the only way to know is to disassemble the engine.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM

I found some more numbers on the engine and tranny. Can anyone help determine the numbers?[/align][/align]Head Casting #3946074 (Located middle top of head)[/align]Front Top of Head #916 B[/align]
[/align]Tranny # 3925660 (Located Passenger Side of Tranny)[/align]US Patent # 3088336 General Motors Corp[/align]
[/align]Back of Tranny (Vertical) P9H10A[/align][/align]Thank you [/align]

Old 01-04-2007, 02:23 AM

I HAVE MY ORIGINAL 68 WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP YOU IDENTIFY CLASSIC PARTS.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 AM

JUST SAW YOU LIVE IN GR AFTER I SENT REPLY. THAT IS MY HOME TOWN. CAPEN ST. ON NORTH SIDE. CATHOLIC CENTRAL GRAD AND MICHIGAN GRAD. BE THRILLED TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Yes I am Grand Rapidsand so ismost of ourcar collection. Send me a PM with your # if you want to meet up to look at the toys.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP to verify my Vette