Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

New Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Default New Guy Here

Hey everyone new guy here... Don't own a vette yet but am really interested in buying a C3... Really have a fondness for the '78's... Can you all share some info good and bad regarding my current choice??? What are the items I should really be looking at when looking at one for sale???

TIA
Mad Man

Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Guy Here

Welcome to the site. I guess you should look for all the typical problem areas that any car may have. You should also look at the frame rails front to back especially in front of the rear tires. check the rear suspension for wear and bent members, could be costly to fix. Not sure where the battery is on the '78 but look for acid rot under it.

Others will have much more and better suggestions for you so hang in and they will reply. Cheers

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Yup, look 'er over real good underneith.
Main prob areas I have come across...
suspension and electronics.
Look over the wireing under the hood and watch for any "Bubba" mods.
Vettes didn't come with duct tape wrappedwire splices.
Take your prospect for a spin, if ya get any clunks, bumps,or bangs from the rear, you're prob lookin' at some suspension work.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM

You can look for a 78 Pace Car, they look awesome (black and silver two tone). In Ca, 76 and newer need a smog, so check with your state about that.I've heard bad story about smog problems. Anyways good luck.

c-ya

Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF. Would recommend that you become as educated as possible before buying. Go to a Corvette show and talk to owners and they can show you first hand what to look for. Other things not mentioned yet are to check for leaking brake calipers, missing parts, non-original parts,and repaired body damage to name a few. Another '78 special was the Silver Anniversary Edition which was two-tone silver and had some special emblems.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

........speakin' of leaks,.........check engine, trany, and rear end for any leaks or seepage. Shocks can show oil stains too, if the seals are blown.

This post from 73 Shark, is prob. the best advise you'll get,......

"Would recommend that you become as educated as possible before buying. Go to a Corvette show and talk to owners and they can show you first hand what to look for."

....and right here, we'll help with any questions you may have, and you're welcome to search our archives, for a selected topic.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 AM

Hi Mad Man, just wondering what part of the country you live in. There are some hidden spots on the C3's that are prone to rust, they can be repaired but are very labor-intensive. Mud from sand or gravel roads and salt from the roads or ocean environment mixed with moisture could be eating at some steel in places you can't see unless you take off inspection panels. I live in Michigan where salt is used on the roads, I have a '78 that has been in Michigan it's entire life, it's been a challenge but I have a solid car now. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Banned

Let us know where you are located, maybea forum member will volunteer to help you look over a Corvette you are planning to buy. Whatever you do, before you buy it, have it put up on a lift and checked out by a trusted and competent mechanic. Find someone over 40 who knows older cars! Not some kid out of trade school....

Welcome! and Good Luck!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks I'll be reading up!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM

"Buba" mods, gotta love that one!!! I can see that I have my homework cutout for me...

Quick Reply: New Guy Here