Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

NEWBIE and first post. 1975 vette w/ 46k original

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Default NEWBIE and first post. 1975 vette w/ 46k original

Hello everyone,

I am new here and thought I would say hello.I have a 1975 Corvette with 46k original on the clock. Numbers match, interior is clean. It is actually my father's car since 1976 and has been sitting in a garage for a long time. The car has some damage that I would like to get fixed and figured I'd ask here as to what people thought it might cost to repair. Below are some photos of the car and it's damage.

Thanks in advance. If anyone knows of a good reasonable body shop in the San Francisco bay area let me know. I don't need concours quality, just clean and correct.

edit: the car has 44,600, not 46k.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Default RE: NEWBIE and first post. 1975 vette w/ 46k original

Welcome!

There are lots of sources for aftermarket fibreglass for C3's. From what I can see, I wouldn't expect parts to be over $2k (Bumper, fender, bumper support, turn signal housing, and misc little pieces once you get it torn apart). If you can talk a couple buddies into helping you swap out the damaged parts, you are then looking at the cost of fine tuning the fit and paint, somewhere between $500 (Maaco special), and $7k for a very nice hand-rubbed lacquer job. If there is any frame damage, you might be looking at another $1-2k or so, and maybe some front suspension parts.

bill.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Great Googely moogely!! musta been a big dog. not too hard but semi costly as Bill stated. well worth it though. nice car and welcome to the boards. Lots of really smart,(not me),and nice people here like Bill. Join in the fun and enjoy your Vette. Cheers

Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!

OUCH!!!![]

No worries though, the Vette is def worth the doe!
You've got a diamond waiting to shine!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Nice car! BTW those are American Racing Vector wheels in case you didn't know. Chev. used them on one of their prototype Corvettes in the 70s. Also the narrower version was used on some of the Buick Grand Nationals. I like them but am partial as that's what I have. Good luck on the repair.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:17 AM

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

Welcome!

There are lots of sources for aftermarket fibreglass for C3's. From what I can see, I wouldn't expect parts to be over $2k (Bumper, fender, bumper support, turn signal housing, and misc little pieces once you get it torn apart). If you can talk a couple buddies into helping you swap out the damaged parts, you are then looking at the cost of fine tuning the fit and paint, somewhere between $500 (Maaco special), and $7k for a very nice hand-rubbed lacquer job. If there is any frame damage, you might be looking at another $1-2k or so, and maybe some front suspension parts.

bill.

Bill,

Any idea as to how labor intensive it would be to swap the entire front surround? I've seen them online for about a grand and figure that would be easier than cutting out sections as well as being pretty much lined up out of the box. Paint is a total other story.

BTW,
Thanks everyone for the welcome. I hope to learn a bunch from you all as well as share whatever knowledge I've got stored in the brain over here.

-jeff

Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Bump.

Bill,

Any idea how labor intensive the work is? I need to get this project going!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:28 PM

allill, I wouldn't even consider tearing off the front clip to repair that small amount of damage. Aftermarket glass is okay but it's not exactly precision laid.What little damage you have can be easily repaired with a partial fender piece. If you tear off the clip you're looking at aligning the clip, fitting the hood and the headlights and the inner fenderwells, not to mention the gap at the doors, and a lot of other things. I don't think the cost will be as high as these other guys think. I have replaced a full front clip and believe me it's not just setting it on and everything lines up. Also, there's a lot of filling and sanding to do. There's a lot of prep work to get that surface ready to paint. Just look at the pieces offered for sale, cut out only what you have to, and put the new piece in place. This is your chance to learn how to work fiberglass. You may be able to find GM 'glass panels and bonding strips. If you need fiberglass materials don't go to the auto parts store. Go to a boat shop. Much more affordable. Oh, brake fluid works pretty well getting the resin off your hands. When you're sanding your fiberglass wear long sleeved shirts buttoned at the wrists and the neck and amask. Let us know how it works out.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 AM

dude that sucks! nice car though. i want a c3 also but some of them are soooooo expensive! its ridiculous. oh well, i'll probably get one next year around jan or feb. well good luck with the car if u havent already fixed it

Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 PM

Car is in the shop and on its way to getting back on the road.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE and first post. 1975 vette w/ 46k original