Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Painting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Default Painting question

My baby still has her original paint from 76. It's in pretty good shape, but there are a bunch of small flecks in the paint that I would love to fix. I'm debating on repainting the entire car though. I am activy duty so I have full access to an enclosed paint booth and guns. I pretty much just have to buy the paint. I've been reading online that the painting process isn't too difficult, but I'll be honest. I know very little about painting. I've looked into having it done for me, but a good paint job is going to run me $2500-3500+, which sadly isn't in the budget right now and I refuse to take it to earl schwabs or maaco. They butcher cars.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Default RE: Painting question

hardest part may be in the prep work. i here prices around $5000 here in Illinois. watch out for runs and putting it on too thick. any painters around illinois that can paint a vette for 2500-3500, please chime in.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Rick,
Where are you stationed? I did my time in the Army and know that some shops around the bases are "rip-offs." I'm sure you're familiar with all that. But especially with the fiberglass, you have to make sure that you don't take it down too far when preping, etc. That is great that the craft shop has a spray booth still. Most of the Army bases (here at Ft. Hood), and even Barkesdale AFB (just left there this past Sept. 7th.) did away with their paint booth. Maybe you could talk to the guys at the craftshop and see if any one of the regulars up there are familiar with fiberglass, or atleast one of the guys could point you in the right direction. All in all, research and wait until you feel confidnet that the job will be done right, whether you do it or you farm it out. Always better to wait and finally get it done right, rather than get it done right away and have a mess that you'll have to do over.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

It's all in the prep. The paining isn't so hard. I can squirt a pretty fair coat, but like I said, the prep has to be meticulous to get a great finish. The major cost, like any job, is in the labor, not the paint.
It's all prep until the final coat.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM

I'm currently stationed at Hurlburt Field in Florida. I've been asking around town and found a guy who through word of mouth is supposed to be good and fair. The only problem is the guy listed a ton of cars he has done, but when I asked if he has ever worked on fiberglass he said no.

I've been looking online and have found a ton of different guides for the prep work, but each differs and I don't know enough to know what's good and what's when it comes to following one of them.

The overall paint is good. Should I maybe just look into getting a colour matched pint of paint from napa and do some touch ups?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if there are no cracks or detrimental damage to the body then the fiberglass won't be an issue. If the paint is solid then the prep work will be the same as any other car. If you are going to paint it the same color, all you will need to do is perhaps remove any chrome and trim,tape off the glass and tires, sand it out completely with wet 320 or 400 paper and apply your paint whether it is gloss one shot or base clear. just remember to have the paint shop add the correct amount of flex agent in all your paint. Have fun with it, Cheers

Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 AM

Hey Rick, if you haven't done any auto paint work then I would farm it out to a shop that can show you some of their work, especially if you're going with any metallic top coat, just my 2 cents.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Strongly recommend taking the car down to factory primer. No matter how much sealer, primer, etc you put on top of the original paint, it will eventually show thru. I know as I didn't heed this advice when I painted mine. Also proper seam repair is crucial as if not done right, they come back to haunt you.

BTW a good paint job in KC area for a Corvette runs around $7K. That's a basecoat/clearcoat job.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Damn!......I'm in the wrong buisness......Last truck (S10), I painted I only charged the kid 300 beans pluss paint. Maybe I'll turn my second shop into a custom bodyshop. Food for thought...I guess!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
pg
Default Touch Up the Original Paint.

Hi Rickcusaf, (the usaf rules), You say that you have original paint and it's in good shape, I had new paint 7 years ago, my car is a daily driver and each time I wash the car I find another chip, but thats going to happen.
I went to a paint supply and they mixed a small can of touch up paint, from 10 feet away it looks great and I'm sure your car does too. From 50 feet away you can tell people you just got it at Barret-Jackson!
So if your looking for perfect paint and a show car start reading about painting Corvettes. Mabye a boat yard has some info.
I could Not spend $2500 to $7000 and continue to drive as I do, that would just be a waste of money for me.
What are your plans for your car? PG.

Quick Reply: Painting question