Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Pre Cut Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Default Pre Cut Window Tint

Any idiot can install window tint. Problem is trimming it up and getting it to fit. Good thing about vettes is the lackof a window frame on the door. The rest of it may be a bit of a pain. But being a vette you may want to consider a pro and shell out the bucks.

On the other hand. I also have another car which I just bought. (Chevy HHR) No way I'm fooling with this. I took it to a local pro to ask the cost of tinting it. $300. I said thanks and see ya. While Iwas their I asked him how they cut it. They said by computer. Ahhh! the light bulb started glowing. Came home, brought up Yahoo or Yayhoo depending on where your from. Typed in "pre cut window tint" and to make a long story short. The whole car is in the mail for around $35.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Default RE: Pre Cut Window Tint

Cyclic,
I've always taken my cars to a "tint shop" for that. I've found that it's one thing to have the tint cut the right size, but the "installation process" not only makes or brakes how the tint looks, but also how long the tint continues to look good.
The very best tint job that I ever got; my wife got a surprise job done for me on Ft, Hood at the car care center. It just so happened that a guy was operating the tint shop at the time who was GREAT. I never was able to find him after he left there. The next one I had done was really nice, but expensive, although I never had a problem with it.
Like alot of trades, it's the workmanship that counts.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Very true. While frameless glass isn't too hard, glass with compound curves e.g. rear hatch glass is an art form, especially if there's a defroster grid on it. A lot of installers like to trim it on the grid so the seams don't show but it's very easy to cut the grid [] and then no defrost on the section. [:@]

Also important is the quality of the tint film. I've seen some cars that have tint that turned purple and started bubbling after a few months.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 PM
pg

Hi guys, I'd like to have a light black tint on my side windows, I think it would look good on a white car, what if I did it myself and it came out bad, how do you get it off?
I never thought about the "Quality" of the tint, would some from the auto parts store be OK or where else should I look? PG.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

The auto stores usually carry like a good, better, best grade. The few times I've done it, I get the best cuz it's not that much fun to redo and not much difference price wise. The guy that redid my IROC had a spray solution that he used to help get the old stuff off. It was a warranty job on the rear hatch that the first guy botched. Not only was it peeling off but he cut five grid lines.

I did the door glass and it came out OK.

You can trim it by spraying the outer surface of the glass and with the backing sheet (clear) on the outside, lay your tint on the glass and squeegee the bubbles out. Then with a new razor blade, trim the tint around the edge of the glass. Now you have a pretrimmed tint film for that door. Next you need to start to separate the backing from the tint film. I found that putting a piece of masking tape on each side helps get it started. The most important part is as you separate it,be sure to spray the sticky side of the tint film cuz if it is dry and sticks to something, it's trash. [] Then you spray the glass liberally and the tint film with about the upper third of the backing pulled down. Align the film with the glass and start squeegeeing out the solution. Don't worry about all of the bubbles yet. Now you can start to remove more backing and spraying and squeegeeing. I use one of the plastic spreaders that comes with bondo to get the film down past the seal on the door panel. Now you can start to squeegee out the bubbles starting at the center and working out. There can be a few small bubbles that will evaporate in a few days. Worst case you might have to ***** them and use your thumbnail to force out the air.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
pg

Thanks 73shark, I'll save this info, one more question the tint goes on the inside of the window? PG.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. Only used the outside as a template to make trimming easier.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

The trimming is the trick to a good looking job. I did mine, boogered up the edges and trashed the film. I ripped it off and will have a pro do it next time. Just don't have a steady hand. [&o]

Old 03-29-2008, 07:29 PM

To get the old tint off, just rip it off and use a razor blade if necessary. Acetone will get the glueoff real quick.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Getting mine done next Monday. I have a C4 1990. $65 for the rear glass. $65 for the side windows and $25 for a stripe across the front. Not too bad!

Quick Reply: Pre Cut Window Tint