Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

PREVIOUS OWNER SCREW-UPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Default PREVIOUS OWNER SCREW-UPS

It'sjust plain scary what some people who think they know what they are doing with cars can do to one.
I have heard stories from other C3 owners just like us that make me go home and look at my own again for safety reasons.

Anyone ever find some screw-ups that the previous ower did to your C3

Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PREVIOUS OWNER SCREW-UPS

Naw, no screw ups. Here's some things that I found on the "Starship",that work just fine. I'm happy to pass along these tips.

Take an extention cord, cut the ends off, and use the wire to rewire your windshield wiper controls. You can use duct tape to wrap any splices. If ya have a bolt that is too long for mounting the starter, you can add as much a 2 inches of washers to make a tight fit. If a part requires 4 bolts, 3 will work just fine. Flywheel bolts don't need to match. And one of my favorites, If ya have a lot of rock knicks on the front end, get a rattle can of paint, preferably blue, and paint some flames on it. Don't forget to hold the can in one place so ya get a good run goin'. Oh ya, put washers on the wheel studs to get the rims to clear the brake calipers. A cracked rim is O.K., ya just have ta put air in more often. Ya can use silicone to help seal the leak. Coat hangers make great exhaust pipe hangers. Any screw will work to hold the head liner in place on the "T" tops. Set up the shift linkage so that 1st and 2nd gear positions are switched. Paint the block yellow, but let some orange show through in places. Always disconect the vacuum lines to the right headlight door, so that only the left one opens up. You can use a piece of pvc pipe to make a splice in the heater hoses. Zip ties work great for keeping the front spoiler in place. There are others, but I'm keepin' them to myself, 'cause they work so well. [sm=shades.gif]
Other than that, she's "Cherry". [sm=icon_rock.gif]

And I can't, for the life of me,figure out why it's takin' me so long to get the "Starship" up and runnin' again.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 PM

After reading your response Starship I am feeling alot better about my 74, infact I just washed it and changed the oil.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

And ta think she was nominated for ROTM a while back. This is truely a labor of love, and with every turn of a bolt it grows much deeper. [sm=drlove.gif]No matter what I do, it makes 'er just that much better. I believethat I mentioned before, that 'er suspension was totally shot when I first got 'er too, but not no more.
Ain't it amazing how deceiving a pic can be, eh?
This is an actual pic of when I first got 'er, with all the "Bubba" stuff intact.
How many things can you see wrong, Hmmmmm?

Name:  003_HPIM0073.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  104.2 KB
At least ten, are obvious to me.
Oh ya, you could tell she had steel belted radials, 'cause ya could see the steel belts,......... on all four.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a numbers matching candidate for the Survivor award or maybe even a Duntov award.

I guess the extra antifreeze on the intake was in case you run a little low. That gas line hose on the pressure side is a no-no. []

Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

At least it ran when you got it. It just had a little custom fabrication and re-engineering. Keeps it interesting huh? LOL! How much extra HP did the red paint on the valve covers add?Alas ...the engine box looks so much better with the Big Block fillin' the hole. Can't wait for the smoke test.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Not a numbers matching car by any means. When she came from the police impound yard, she had no engine.

Ya, she ran pretty well concidering. At least I got to try out the new suspension before the engine took a dump.

Red paint on the valve covers must have added another 30 to 35 hp. No stickers though. [&o]

Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

LOL!...I hope for some HP increase with the chrome valve covers I put on mine. I wonder if the chrome deep oil pan and the fresh paint will help any?

I'll have to dig up some of my old sticker and put them in the glove box just in case.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Fresh engine paint, and a chrome deep well, Hmmmm.....I guesstimate a full 75 HP increase.

Now if ya leave those stickers in the glove box, ya only get 1/3 of the potential HP. [&o]

The only chrome on my engine is the waterpump pullie. Since it's out in front, I expect a full 40HP increase.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM

Now I know why my Vet is running alot faster. It must be the chrome air filter I just installed.
Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: PREVIOUS OWNER SCREW-UPS