Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

project car

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Default project car

I am considering buying a 1969 vette as a project car. The car has had it's frame sandblasted and repainted and the body put back on. The engine is a rebuilt 350 with about 1000 miles on it. The suspension has been replaced and it would come with a new exhause system and mufflers. The interior is torn apart and has about 70% of the parts and none of the guages are hooked up. The car doesn't run because nothing is really hooked up but everything is there to make it go. i'm willing to spend the time and a little money. i was wondering if anyone had advice. It is being offered for about $8000. It's hard to guage if this is reasonable because there aren't many projects like this for sale. Do you think this is a reasonable price? thanks for your advice and help.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Default RE: project car

how is the body? it sounds like someone meant to redo this car correctly..

Old 09-23-2005, 07:11 PM

Figure $1000 for an interior if you do the work yourself, $3000 if you have someone do it for you. A good paint job will cost $5-6000. You are now into the car for $14,000+++ and it doesn't run. Why doesn't it run and what will it cost to get it running? Your guess is as good as mine. Every project car I have seen was running when they took it apart but when it is put back together there is a whole new story.

Run, Forrest, Run. Take your $14,000 and buy a complete good running finished car. At least you know whay you have and you have little or no work to do. That big a project needs to be real cheap because the way projects work is you take your best estimate to complete the car and multiply it by 3 and you are within safe range.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:31 AM

OK I would like to say first that I agree with the above post and think that its sound advice to avoid projects...

That said, I don't know you or your abilities and desires for your Corvette. If you want to drive a car, and have little love for the process to get there a finished car is the best move. However if you want exactly a certain type of car and options the choice of available cars is smaller, and prices are less negotiable. Nothing you don't know.

How much cash do you have? You can finance a good car, not a project, and it makes projects cheaper as a result. If you want to put work in, and have low expectations of ever being reimbursed on the sale of the car, a project is also good. Finally, with a project, you can create the car you want exactly as you want. My project has become the ultimate Corvette to me, one I could never afford if I had someone build it. Its a long way off, but the satisfaction of knowing that from every bolt and fastener it is going together right and with the best parts behind them is awesome.

I hate to say it, but sentimentally I vote for the project. It does not always make sense, but there is already too much of that in the world. The 68/69 body is the one that is just so perfect looking, and has so much flash, coupled with a track winning pedigree. I have got my eyes on a 69 body to go with a spare frame I have...but my friends say no...I may surprise them and actually listen.

PS the best thing about a meesed up project is you have little to go on as far as originality. I simply dislike modifying a Corvette from its original state, unless you have nothing to go on for what it was.

Building the dream...

Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 PM

have to agree 100% with all responses,i have finally,after 12 years and probably 20gs,finished my early 71 roadster l48.i bought the car from a friend of more than 50 years,knew the numbers matched and knew the mileage (51,000) was real.what i didn't know was the endless to-do things that needed fixing.it was a great trip that i would not have changed for anything.i look at my car now and smile,proud that i did it. only you can decide if yours is worth the time and cash involved.8gs is high to buy a project not running.good luck...jc