Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

QJet Adjustment Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Default RE: QJet Adjustment Help

900 is just a tad much,try lower if it will stay running and adjust[after ya get rid of miss] on cut out : engine off look in carb while opening linkage you should see 2 streams of gas being shot into intake like 2 water pistols from front barrels.q jays are famous for acc. pump failure.on miss : loosen wires on dist cap,with engine running grasp wire an inch from boot and pull from cap you should hear/feel a miss,reinstall then do another cyl. the one that makes no diff. is the missing cyl

Old 07-22-2007, 07:34 AM

Hi L82Steve, can we backtrack a little? I see your in California, is the car originally a California car, is it an auto trans, stock engine, ignition, carb., etc. If we can get more detail on the equipment we have a better chance of nailing down the problem(s). Extanker is heading in the right direction, the engine is idling too fast at 900 RPM, check the specs. sticker under the hood for idle, timing, etc., I think it should idle around 650-750 in drive if it's an automatic. When you adjusted the timing did you unhook and plug the vacuum hose from the distributor first? Also since I'm not very familiar with the Calf. emissions equipment can you tell us if the Q-Jet is an electronic controlled carb.. if so it will have a two wire plug at the right front top of the carb. Give us as much precise info as you can describe.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:47 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: extanker

900 is just a tad much,
Yup. But his problem is not fuel delivery failure; it's OVER-delivery.

But don't even worry about that right now. It's gonna drop when the mix screws allow a little more fuel in, like they're supposed to do.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
ax

Muhahahaa....another Q-jet in my sights....must rid the world of Q-Jets. If I had a nickle for every problem I'v had with my Q-jet I could afford a Holley! Seriously...unless your dead set on keeping it stock(assuming the Q-Jet is a stock one)buy a holley. Then........go to your back yard....build a stack of logs 4 feet high.....set the Q-Jet on top.....light the logs.... bask in the only warm feeling a Q-Jet can bring.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 PM

Sounds like you need to rebuild. Ports for mixture screws could be varnished up and therefore won't make a difference where you have them. A rebuild kit and cleaning and blowing out all the ports should do the job. Carbs will get that way if you don't refresh them once in awhile. When was the last time you went through it?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Texas.
Beleive me, it's not just Q-jets. ( Roachnesters )
All brands will do it.

( Ha...Ha....Hollys )
( But Carter's got the pills for what ails ya. )

Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 AM

Looks like we're just holdin' this discussion between the folks that wanted to help, haven't seen L82steve give us anything else to go on.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

This thread has had over 150 hits, so I bet cha somebody, somewhere, is learnin' sumpin'.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Good point Dave, I new there was a reason you are a moderator and one of my hero's. If anyone has something to add or questions about Q-Jets we can continue on from here.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:45 PM

I just got rid of a '86 chevy p/u that I put an old AFV carb on (mid '60s 4bbl that chevy used) and one of the mixture screws made just a small difference, the other did nothing. I hadn't gone through it since 2000 summer. The guy loves the truck. LOL I tried telling him the little things about it as it's a work truck, but it was like talking Greek to him (he's definitely not Greek LOL) and he didn't even react. So I just shut up.

Quick Reply: QJet Adjustment Help