Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Default rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...

I have an '81 Corvette which is all original. Lately I've noticed that when I'm rolling along about 30 to 40 mph and hit the gas, the car seems to torque/sway sideways somewhat. The rear goes to the right. No clunking sound or noise, just a push to the right like it wants to walk alittle sideways. I put the car up in the air last week and nothing is loose. Does anyone have an idea as to what the heck my problem is?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...

Sure sounds like the trailing arm bushings to me. Inspect very closely at where the arms atach to the frame. Look for any signs of movement. Also inspect the dif center support bushing. since they do wear out, and you have an all original Vette, It wouldn't hurt to change all three. You will def feel agreat difference.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 AM

I'll be puttin' my money on Starship's diagnosis, something is loose in the rear suspension or at the very least it needs alignment.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I really think an alignment would not help. With the bushings worn, you wouldn't get the alignment to hold. Everything will still move around.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Yes, it may be (you must be refering to the "torque control arm")the bushings, but it's nothing I can get to move with a long pry bar with the car on the lift (under frame) wheels unsupported. Like I said, no noise or clunking sound just the smooth shift (torque)to the right with the rear. The alignment is good, recently done, tires wear evenly, wheels line up straight front to back and car rides straight. When this thing moves, it doesn't stay like that, it comes back. It's like a smooth short torque, right and back very quickly as soon as I'm out of the gas. I've never experienced anything like it and I've been around for afew decades. I thought that maybe it's a combination of the "torque control arm bushings" and the "differential carrier assy. bushings." I'll be yanking it all out very very soon. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate your it.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Texas Jim, a few months ago my '69 was doing the same thing. Really gets your attention. When I jacked her up and pushed on things Icouldn't get anything to move. It's impossible to see the trailing arm bushings with the shims and steel plates in there. When I dropped the half shafts, shocks, and struts it was pretty obvious that the trailing arm bushings were gone. I could twist and turnthe right trailing arm any way I wanted. When I pulled the trailing arms off those bushings were just falling apart.I had the trailing arms rebuilt { complete job, bushings, wheel bearings and parking brakes } and she's tight again. Be sure to keep your trailing arm shims together {left outer, left inner, right inner, rightouter }, should keep your alignment pretty close. It's a big job but you'll be happy with the results. That pulling to one side made me kinda' nervous.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM
pg

Hi mrggrm, BIG JOB- that's an understatement! But you did it the right way. While everything is apart just change it all and be done with it for the next 10 years. PG

Old 07-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

I neglected to mention, there are five mounting points. 3 for the dif, and one for each trailing arm. Ya it'sa job, but the reward is worth it.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:48 PM

mrggrm, Thanks for the input. I'll be pulling it all out very soon. Yes, it's a job, but well worth doing. I enjoy this stuff anyway. I'm just finishing up a spineless 305 for my Chevy 20 commercial van. Just a stock rebuild. I'll jump on the suspension next. I'll keep you posted.
IN the May, 2007 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine, there's an article on "replacing the rear wheel bearings and in the April, 2007 issue of "Corvette Fever" there's an article on "replacing the U-joints" both for our years of Corvettes (my reason for buying the issues). They contain some good tips and I always feel that any info from one's experience is a useful tool for me. If someone needs the articles and can't get them on the internet, I'd be glad to scan and send them off.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Get some Kroil or other good penetrant for the trailing arm bolts but chances are you'll have to cut them out. A small air saw works good in these close quarters. Suggest putting back together with stainless steel shims.

Quick Reply: rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...